Batter method question
Posted: 24 July 2009 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  310
Joined  2009-07-24

I will be making cupcakes for a September wedding. After reading cupcake forums, I have read that cupcakes may resist shrinking from the paper cup if the traditional creaming method is used instead of Rose’s method for layer cakes (not creaming butter and sugar). My question: Can any traditional cake recipe be used, following Rose’s method, and conversely, can any RLB recipe be used for cupcakes following the traditional creaming method?

Any other tips regarding cupcakes shrinking from the paper will be appreciated.

Signature 

Please visit me at http://cookinginmexico.com/ for recipes and photos

Posted: 24 July 2009 05:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  2007-11-15

Hmm, have to say I’ve never had shrinking using Rose’s method.  I didn’t realize people had drawn that conclusion. It certainly hasn’t been my experience. As far as inter-changing methods, I believe you can do it, but I haven’t tried it.

Posted: 24 July 2009 09:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  310
Joined  2009-07-24

I read past posts, and found this:

“...I have had problems with cupcake liners separating from the cake?and have varied recipes to try to solve this problem?and in the process found something interesting.  Now?everyone on this forum is about to jump down my throat?and Dear Rose, please forgive me for what I am about to say?but I find that for cupcakes (and for cupcakes only) the cakes look better (not taste better or have better texture) but do look better and the liners stay on better if you use the ?creaming? method for making your batter rather than the two stage method. “
Bill, Nov. 7, 2008
http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/607/

So I am very interested in knowing if anyone here has found they can take a recipe by Rose and make cupcakes using the traditional creaming method. And vice versa. Can I take any traditional recipe and follow Rose’s two-stage mixing method. I will eventually try this myself when I have occasion to make a cake. Just wanted to know if anyone else has already determined that recipes and the two methods are interchangeable.

Bill goes on to say: The baking powder needs to be reduced a little, but other wise I use the same ingredients?and my cupcakes look great.  They taste great too?but the texture is not as wonderful as with the two stage method used in Rose?s books?but they do look better.

Signature 

Please visit me at http://cookinginmexico.com/ for recipes and photos

Posted: 24 July 2009 09:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1442
Joined  2008-09-27
Catalina - 24 July 2009 08:42 PM

Any other tips regarding cupcakes shrinking from the paper will be appreciated.

I have not observed this problem.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach