Naan bread
Posted: 30 December 2007 04:36 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-12-30

I recently bought the bread bible and even though extremly comprehensive it does not include a recipe for Naan bread. I would have needed Roses perfectionism for this bread too. Does anyone have a good recipe for Naan bread? I have tried a few from various places but the result is still not as good as those I buy at Indian restaurants.

The main problem is that the breads I produce are more stale and they break when folded over. The naan bread I buy are almost bendable! The texture is simply different and I have no clue where to begin.

Posted: 30 December 2007 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1074
Joined  2007-11-15

Jelvis, maybe someone will be more optimistic, but I have concluded Naan is one of those breads to be enjoyed at a restaurant, and unless you want to invest in a tandoor, it will never be as good at home.  I have tried several recipes, but the home oven simply cannot replicate the intense heat of a tandoor—the best I think you can achieve is an approximation. 

In fact, it is my understanding that the history of the Indian restaurant is tied to that fact that tandoori chicken and naan couldn’t be made at home, so these places grew quite popular in India.  When immigrants opened restaurants in other countries, this is the model they followed as well.  So, as far as I know, most Indians cannot/ do not make naan at home unless they are fortunate enough to have a tandoor or have access to a communal tandoor. The bright side is that there are many Indian breads that can be made successfully at home, and those are the ones I choose to serve with Indian meals (poori, roti, paratha).

Posted: 31 December 2007 06:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-12-30

I was afraid of that. But I was still hoping that the results could be replicated at least to a greater degree than what I have been able to do in the past. Anyway, thanks for your input, I was thinking that I was the only one not being satisfied with the recipes I found online.

Additionally, I don’t really believe that the Indian restaurants in Sweden all have a tandoor. Perhaps they are using something else, I’ll try talking to some of them. Even though almost all Indian restaurants here are run by Pakistani and Bangladeshi, the breads should be just about the same.

As an amusing note my only Indian friend has never made Naan bread in her life. When I asked her how to do, she was puzzled and told me to go buy one instead. That is what she does. grin

Posted: 31 December 2007 02:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  216
Joined  2007-12-17

Jelvis,  there are a couple of videos on Utube on making Naan…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXOSO6nU_Z8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vow-kxTPatc&feature=related
one baked them on a pizza stone under the broiler in an oven pre-heated at 500F/260C

Signature 

Come visit my blog
http://reviewofrecipes.blogspot.com/