White Velvet Butter Cake vs. All Occasion Downy Yellow Butter Cake
Posted: 02 August 2009 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-08-02

Hi Everyone,

This is my very first post and I find myself a little nervous.  First I want to say thank you to Rose for her unparalleled expertise.  Being a self-taught baker (and still learning everyday), TCB has been an invaluable resource to me as has this forum and all of you, so thanks to all of you as well.

I am basing my question on successfully baking the White Velvet cake and now wanting to make the All Occasion.  In TCB, Rose mentions that the White Velvet is “identical to All Occasion Downy Yellow Butter Cake except that each 2 egg yolks are replaced by 1 1/2 whites.”  When going from the White Velvet to All Occasion, do I need to increase the milk to account for the lost liquid (50 grams) from going from 4 1/2 egg whites to 6 egg yolks?  Similarly, should I also reduce the butter to account for the increased fat (27 grams) from the egg yolks?  I will put my assumptions below.  Thanks in advance for your help, and let me know if I am taking Rose’s mention of “identical” too literal (i.e, the percentages of major ingredients should be exactly the same for the two cakes). 

Pat

Liquid         Fat
White Velvet:  4 1/2 egg whites =                  135g           0g

All Occasion:  6 egg yolks =                              85g         27g  

Difference (White Velvet to All Occasion):        -50g       +27g

Posted: 02 August 2009 11:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2007-11-16

You don’t need to do a thing to the All-occasion cake. Just make it!  It’s delicious, you will not be disappointed.  I made the yellow cake first in my baking travels, then the white. Both are wonderful, the only ones I will use for cakes in these categories.

BTW, welcome, and happy baking.  : )

Posted: 03 August 2009 08:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4737
Joined  2008-04-16

No, the percentage of liquid and fat should not be the same for the two cakes.  What Rose means is that the recipe, aside from the difference in eggs, is the same.  Egg whites do not behave the same as milk in a cake, and these should not be substituted for each other.

All of Rose’s cakes have been extensively tested and perfected, you can rest assured that no modifications are necessary.  Just follow the directions and weigh ingredients carefully. Enjoy the downy yellow, it is lovely!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 03 August 2009 02:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-08-02

MrsM and Julie, thank you for your replies.

Pat

Posted: 03 August 2009 07:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2007-11-16

Let us know how you liked the yellow cake.

Posted: 21 August 2009 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2008-06-01

I personally prefer the White Cake over the Yellow Cake - just me being contrary, I suppose.  They’re both good but ... yum!  White Cake!

Posted: 22 August 2009 02:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Both are divine, but I prefer the white butter cake too… tastes a bit better to me and looks much more impressive when cut.  When people see it for the first time, they KNOW it isn’t a boxed mix.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com