2 of 2
My daughter’s wedding cake
Posted: 18 August 2009 11:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  211
Joined  2008-11-03

Gayle get those cards made up a.s.a.p! Even if you use Word program, get them to the CC manager.  Wonderful job with the cakes, quite a bit feat and you pulled them both off very well!

Posted: 19 August 2009 02:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  923
Joined  2009-05-25

Stunning presentation!  Both cakes are so very well done!

Posted: 19 August 2009 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  46
Joined  2009-06-22

Thank you! I got the cards ordered I should have them by the end of the week… I have been talking with the health department here to see what all the codes and laws are so I don;t get into trouble… Since the wedding I have got three people that called about me doing their wedding cakes and I got called for 3 other cakes as well…. So it looks like this may work out as a great extra income and who knows maybe someday full time! cheese I can only hope!

Posted: 19 August 2009 10:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2008-09-10

Excellent!!  the black and white cake reminds me of competition-level cakes, like the oklahoma sugar arts shows on food network!

........... You may have to take a food safety/sanitation course at a local college to be certfied to handle and serve food. I had to take one for the state of maryland last spring, which covers me until 2014. 
............My state requires that food for commercial sale be prepared in a licensed, commercial kitchen. Depending on the clientelle you might seek and the amount of baking you anticipate doing, you may need to use space at a local business for some projects, or upgrade your own space. Of course, according to your states laws.
............Also, you may want to have separate receipts for baking supplies for tax purposes.

............NOt the most fun stuff to share, but I am starting a similar process myself, and wanted to share some of my thoughts. Just in case it helps.  smile

Again, Impressive cakes, ghoward!!

Signature 

Try something new, enjoy something familiar. There is a range of joys to explore through creating good food. Plus victories, small and large

Posted: 20 August 2009 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  46
Joined  2009-06-22
biscuits - 20 August 2009 01:43 AM

Excellent!! the black and white cake reminds me of competition-level cakes, like the Oklahoma sugar arts shows on food network!

Wow thank you so much for the compliment Biscuits! I was a nervous wreck while I was working on it…. But was proud when I was done!

Thanks for the info on getting things going… I called the health dept. and they said I can get a license here in TN to work out of my home I have to have a 3 compartment sink with drainboards, a separate room for the cake supplies… and a separate wash room…. I am looking for a sink now to fit a space I have and after that I am good to go just have to have the health dept. come out! I already have two orders for wedding cakes in the next couple months… The health department said I am good if I don’t get it all done as long as I do not make more than 3000.00 before I get my house set up…. I am trying to figure out what to charge for these cakes…

The first one will be small only needs to feed about 60 people but there will be some work because they want me to sculpt two Marathon runners for the bride and groom if I can pull it off…

The second one is a little larger for about 150 people 3 tiers very simple decorations with fondant and fresh flowers…

My question is do you all charge by the servings or by the tiers and decorating?

My thinking was maybe for the 150 serving cake like 3.00 a serving is that too little? and for the 60 serving cake charge it out a little higher because of the sculpting of the topper…. more like 4.50 a serving? Let me know what you think… I am going to check some bakeries in the area and see what they charge! Thanks again!

2 of 2

‹‹ Thomas Cake      August Bake-Off ››