1 of 2
Lemon Oil
Posted: 05 August 2009 03:03 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Does anyone know of a way to make lemon oil? I want to use some in the wedding cake I’m making this month. There is a local supplier that sells lemon oil. Very expensive in teeny tiny bottles. $2.99 for 0.125 oz (LorAnn Gourmet brand).

Tried to source some online and ran into all kinds of roadblocks. First learned that Boyajian (the one Rose recommends) doesn’t ship internationally. Tonight, checked out La Cuisine site which I saw mentioned in this part of the forum. They ship to Canada, but say the Boyajian product is unavailable due to a worldwide shortage of lemons. In any case, the shipping charges would jack the price for a 5 oz. $13 bottle of lemon oil to almost $40. arghhhh!

I’m already cost-cutting by using part lemon extract and part lemon oil. I may have to bite the bullet and buy the teeny bottles. What do you think? Any ideas?

Posted: 05 August 2009 05:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1420
Joined  2007-11-15

Lemon zest is normally equal to lemon oil.  I think something like 6 tb of zest equals 1/2 tsp of oil.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 05 August 2009 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-09

Thank you, Hector! Of course!!! Luckily, I have a whole bunch of lemon half-shells bagged and frozen after juicing. Seemed to use a lot of fresh lemon juice in my baking since May and couldn’t bear to waste them. Hadn’t got around to trying some of the different ways of freezing the zest covered in the excellent post on the subject started by Rozanne last year. Have to get a new microplane grater. The holes on mine are a little too fine.

btw, your chocolate passion cake posted recently on the blog is stunningly beautiful. Magnificent. The photography, too. Every time I think you couldn’t possibly top what you’ve done before, you do. Words fail. I’m just so pleased for you.

Posted: 05 August 2009 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  595
Joined  2007-11-18

CAROLITA:
  Good morning to you. If you live close to a large city check out the yellow pages of your tel book under words like FOOD suppliers, restaurant suppliers, food wherehousing, ete. Places that supply restaurants & the like with food stuff…. even if they do not carry that item ask if they can suggest who may have that item…. pick their brain.
  I hope this helps & enjoy the rest of the day my friend.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 05 August 2009 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Carolita, I wanted to order the strawberry essence from La Cuisine. Cost of the bottle $11.00, shipping to Toronto $25.00. Needless to say I abandoned the idea.
In my lemon cakes, I use zest instead of the lemon oil and it works just fine.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 05 August 2009 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

Carolita, just remembered something….....do you have a Winners or HomeSense store in your area? I once saw a pack of the Boyajian miniature bottles there. It contained lemon, mint, coffee and anise.

Signature 

Posted: 05 August 2009 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-09

Thanks Freshkid! The big city is Vancouver across the Georgia Strait. Yep, the food industry suppliers are based over there. A beautiful, but time-consuming and expensive ferry boat ride away. I get over to the mainland occasionally, and will definitely visit bakery supply houses next time I go. Or I could visit Seattle, which I’ve been meaning to do for eons. Sadly, there’s no time for a jaunt before the wedding.

Have picked a lot of brains locally. Ordered my white chocolate and a new bag of cake flour through the bakery where I work. Sadly our supplier doesn’t carry lemon oil. hmmmm We have some fine chocolatiers in my small city. Wonder if they use lemon oil and would sell me an ounce or two. Come to think of it, I haven’t checked our Middle Eastern store yet. They always have the most surprising (and interesting!) products to try. And there is one supplier I could try 100 km “up-Island.” That’s just a morning’s jaunt and gas instead of a whole day plus ferry costs.

Thanks again for the suggestion, Freshkid. Seems like you got my brain gears working on the next level. smile Enjoy the rest of the day yourself!

Posted: 05 August 2009 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-09

Thanks for the thought, Rozanne. We have a Winners Apparel (clothes only) and no Homesense as far as I can tell. But all these suggestions are good. They got me thinking “outside the box.”  rolleyes

Posted: 05 August 2009 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

I love Vancouver and have my oldest aunt and her large family there, also a good family friend, and also my former childhood neighbor!  And Vancouver is as close to Hawaii as anywhere else!!!  Went there once with my Dad years ago.  My brother Miguel goes often, he lives in Pasco WA…  In fact, when I order La Cuisine, I have it shipped to him and he remails it to me!  Maybe you can do so, and he can drop it off in Vancouver for you to pick it up?

The la cuisine strawberry essence lasts a lifetime, so get it at any cost!  Boyajian is best of the best and John Boyajian is a good man!!!  Rose speaks highly of him.  I am testing his orange, lemon, and lime oils right now!

Thx you dearly for the most deep passionetelly feedback!  Wait till you see Ben Fink’s photos on the new book!

Btw, have you sent me your $10?  Just got a full case of Rose’s new bread DVD, I really need to send them all out before making the cake DVD!  Much better quality than youtube, ohhh, it is ntsc though.

Signature 

Posted: 05 August 2009 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-09

Actually I’m in Victoria, Hector, the capital city of British Columbia which is on an island west of mainland Canada. So you see—we’re both Island people! Just to confuse things, Victoria is on Vancouver Island, but the City of Vancouver is on the mainland.

I’m sure the Boyajian products are available in Vancouver, and I will look for them on my next trip there. But it’s very generous of you to suggest that your brother might have been willing to bring them from WA for me on his next trip.

Don’t know anything about $10 DVDs. Must have been a blog or forum post that I missed. Will look for it. Thanks for the heads up.

Posted: 05 August 2009 07:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

i remember taking the ferry to Victoria, and saw a killer whale!  remembering the fantastic rose garden, the butterfly garden, and the wax museum!  this is in 1993 i think!  island people rules, and mainland people always think we are not the states, or that vancouver is the same as victoria, honolulu is the same as pearl harbor, or australia to new zealand!

there are several small postings regarding the $10 DVD, also on the youtube video under video description.

Signature 

Posted: 05 August 2009 08:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2008-04-29

I have seen the Boyajian oils at Sur La Table, and various specialty food stores, but I can’t help with a local supplier for victoria.

I usually use slightly less lemon oil than zest. It can very strong. (I only use 1/4 tsp for the top tier of the cake) So, Carolita, I would be shocked if you actually used more than a few of those little bottles on the cake.

I should add though, that in testing the lemon poppyseed wedding cake I made last year (combos of frosting, filling and cake) I was surprised to find that I enjoyed the cake only very lightly flavored with lemon oil (recommended amount* had me spitting the cake into a napkin, and I LOVE LEMON), while letting the frosting (lemon mousseline buttercream) and filling really bring the lemon flavor home with limoncello and lemon curd folded in. The limoncello is awesome, but even if you cannot find that, fresh lemon curd can do the heavy lifting for you in the flavor department, and the best part? No sourcing or shipping! You can make it yourself!

I recently revisted this cake for another test run on the couple’s first wedding anniversary, with a higher-end of brand of limoncello in the mousseline (and an additional year of experience under the belt grin ) and the results were out of this world good.

Good luck! Will you update us on how it turns out?

smile
Rachel

*Boyajian recommmends “As a general rule, use up to 1/2 teaspoon per cup of dry ingredients, plus 1/4 teaspoon per cup of liquid ingredients in any recipe” but I think you should start with a 1/4 teaspoon and the increase carefully to taste!

Signature 

http://scratch.typepad.com/
http://www.milkglassbaking.com

Posted: 05 August 2009 09:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-09

Thanks for your interest and advice, Rachel. I did a tasting session with the couple. Perhaps you saw the thread?  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/1179/

They loved the Lemon Luxury cake that I created based on Rose’s Golden Luxury Cake. I used the equivalent of 1/2 tsp lemon oil and 1/2 tsp lemon extract for the top tier. Perhaps it’s the white chocolate in the cake that married so well with the lemon flavouring at that strength. Didn’t see any spitting into napkins at all!  smile

I learned from your journey with the lemon poppyseed cake as well as from others on the forum who’ve worked a lot with lemon. So yes, I will be using Limoncello. Lemon mousseline was the buttercream of choice for an August wedding with this cake. Lemon curd is one of the fillings they chose; lemon cream, the other. The other interesting flavour note the bride requested was ginger, so I’m doing a ginger roulade base at the bottom of each tier. I will certainly update everyone from time to time. It’s great to have a place to share our questions and fears, joys and triumphs!

Rozanne (and anyone else in Canada), I did find a Toronto company that sells LorAnn Gourmet essential oils at a more reasonable price and lots of other neat stuff besides. Flat shipping fee of $7 CAD is a lot less than ordering from the US. Free shipping with orders over $100. But it’s still a couple of dollars cheaper for me to buy the teeny bottles locally. You may be able to pick products up yourself and save the shipping. Dunno, you’d have to check with them. Here’s the url: http://www.vanillafoodcompany.ca/AboutUs.asp

Added by edit: Rachel, you were absolutely right! Thank heavens for post-it notes made on the fly and stuck on the recipe page to remind me later of what I actually did. Made the lemon luxury last of the 3 cakes for the tasting and intended to put 1/2 tsp of lemon oil in the batter. But that teeny bottle only had 1/4 tsp left, so I added 1/4 tsp lemon extract to make up the difference. Just right for the two 6” layers.

Posted: 06 August 2009 03:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2008-04-29

Um, obviously I missed that entire other thread and now feel like old Aunt Edna butting into a conversation rudely. Sorry about that, Carolita! Obviously you have done a LOT of research and testing already.

Aha! caught your edit and am glad to know our flavors aren’t that different. That makes sense. I would have been really surprised as the oil is tres fort.

I am excited to see how this turns out. Especially the ginger layers. I saw in the other thread some ideas (ginger powder, crystallized ginger) of how to do it—what did you decide to use to infuse the ginger flavor in the roulade?

Also, I have been making 6” tasting layers and they are so big for that - I always have leftover cake too. I have noticed higher-volume bakeries do cake tastings with those tiny 3-4” pans. I haven’t bought them yet, because the 6” is the smallest one I already use, but have thought about using the tiny pans to save on ingredients and cut waste, of course, only if I could duplicate the texture and taste correctly.

Oh, and hooray for getting a more local and convenient place for the lemon oil! I am trying to figure out what ingredients I can order in bulk, and find the cheapest suppliers. Right now I am spending a ton on ingredients and not really keeping track - BAD.

Signature 

http://scratch.typepad.com/
http://www.milkglassbaking.com

Posted: 06 August 2009 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18
Carolita - 06 August 2009 12:02 AM

Rozanne (and anyone else in Canada), I did find a Toronto company that sells LorAnn Gourmet essential oils at a more reasonable price and lots of other neat stuff besides. Flat shipping fee of $7 CAD is a lot less than ordering from the US. Free shipping with orders over $100. But it’s still a couple of dollars cheaper for me to buy the teeny bottles locally. You may be able to pick products up yourself and save the shipping. Dunno, you’d have to check with them. Here’s the url: http://www.vanillafoodcompany.ca/AboutUs.asp

Carol, I have not ordered anything from the Vanilla Food Co., but I called them once re some vanilla beans and they were most helpful. Great customer service.

If you still want the Boyajian, here’s where you can get it from. Not sure of the shipping cost to BC. Let me know if you have any luck. I can buy it and ship it to you. The store is in Mississauga and I live in Toronto. It’s only a 30 min drive. I want some too so I’ll be making a trip there anyway.

http://www.goldaskitchen.com/merchant.ihtml

Signature 

Posted: 06 August 2009 11:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-09

That is so kind of you, Rozanne!!! I bought the small bottles of LorAnn Gourmet lemon oil today. In the end, it was a bit a tempest in a teapot. I thought I needed much more than I do, so the expense was not so bad. But I might well come back to the Boyajian quest and your kind offer later, if my business takes off significantly in a lemony direction. smile

Rachel, I hope it wasn’t anything I said that gave you the Aunt Edna feeling. Goodness, no one can read all the posts all the time. Or respond to everything right away. Speaking of which, it’s past my bedtime. I have to get up for an early shift at the bakery. So I’ll save the rest of my response to your latest message for another day.

Happy weekend, everyone, and happy baking. Carol

1 of 2