You’re welcome Carol. I’d be happy to help you.  smile

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 09 August 2009 08:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Here I am again, Rachel, having got a couple of busy days behind me. Will do an update to the thread about this wedding cake tonight or tomorrow. Things are moving along. The wedding’s in two weeks minus a day!!! But I thought I’d write a quick update here to answer your questions.

When I asked for ideas on how to incorporate the ginger flavour, I meant only if the couple chose a butter cake. I knew the roulade would work with biscuit de savoie because I’ve used them together before. But what if they chose one of the butter cakes? I was afraid the delicate flavour and texture of the roulade would be overpowered by a butter cake, and I’d have to incorporate the ginger flavour in some other part of the overall design.

My hunch was correct in a general way. The roulade would not have worked with Dede Wilson’s fairly dense butter cake (one of the 3 choices). But it was beautiful with Rose’s Golden Luxury cake which the couple chose, because hers is so very light and delicate. That’s the long answer to your question. I’m making the ginger variation of the roulade just as Rose describes on page 144 TCB. Only I’ll add a touch more ginger juice at the couple’s request.

Thinking about the extra cake issue after my first tasting, I’m content with making a single 6”. It’s just enough, really, to do an advance tasting myself, and then serve a small wedge to clients plus give them the balance to take home. The problem with my tasting was that I made TWO 6” cakes for each of the 3 choices. That was way too much! Just nervousness, I guess.

I can so identify though, with what you said about wise spending and saving on ingredients. We probably all have issues in the beginning with that and also, with charging enough. Baking is so much fun, it’s hard to get business-like. I’ve been doing better as a result of a restaurant placing an order about 3 months ago. I knew I had to get my act together, so I set up some spreadsheets. When I saw what things really cost, I automatically got motivated to look for better prices! It’s a work in progress. smile

2 of 2