2 of 2
more cookie questions..
Posted: 13 August 2009 09:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

wow thanks for the info. this sounds easier than what i have been doing so i think i am going to try it.  I am making sugar cookies Jeanne, they are circles, wedding dresses, two hearts, and wedding cakes.

Posted: 15 August 2009 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

I must be stupid…
so this is waht i did…

I rolled the dough between 2 piece of parchment paper (i put a litle powdered sugar down on the paper before laying the dough. Then i took the ‘sheet’ of dough and put it in the fridg to chill. Then i took it out, peeled away 1 parchment, and then cut my cookies out. Then i tried to peel away the parts that WEREN’T the cookies and it completely stuck to the pachment. I couldn’t even get the dough OFF the paper without scraping it!!  Then i had to start ALL over and roll the dough out like I normally do. It wasbout 90 degrees in my kitchen the dough was VERY warm and it really was the worst day ever i could have picked to do these cookies (not by choice).

Posted: 15 August 2009 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Ski, You missed one impartant step!  After taking the rolled dough out of the fridge, you peel off the top parchment and then place it gently back on top.  Flip the whole thing over then peel off the now on top peice of parchment.  Cut out your cookies - which will not be stuck - but you must work quickly in these temperatures.

Annie

Posted: 15 August 2009 07:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  602
Joined  2007-11-27

does the recipe say to use confectioners sugar to roll the dough out on?  I’m intrigued!

My experience with powdered sugar on fondant is that it doesn’t prevent sticking and just makes things worse.  Sugar likes water - humidity so maybe that’s why the dough stuck.

Annie has a good suggestion to flip the sheets over; usually I don’t need to because the dough is so cold but the humidity here is wreaking havoc with everything I did today.  Even the buttercream was sweating like crazy and that never happens.  Only one cake today was fondant, and the surface of the fondant was literally melting after I painted it - another first I have never seen before.  So yes, before cutting the dough, if you peeled away the top sheet, then flip it and peel off the bottom then start cutting -as Annie says the dough is already released from the parchment.  I suspect the confectioners sugar and the humidity made the dough stick even more than usual.

Sometimes I think bakers are only happy for a few weeks a year. In the summer, it’s too hot; in winter too cold and there are just a few weeks in spring and fall where the weather is perfect and makes life easy!! smile

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 15 August 2009 09:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

oh wow i guess i did miss an important step!! (I’m blaming pregnancy) that makes so much more sense!!!
I am going to try it again!!....

well the recipe does NOT say to use confect sugar, but i always use it to roll out my sugar cookie dough and it seems to work great.

Posted: 17 August 2009 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

ok cookie poll here….what do you guys think….I have to make these cookies for someone to pick up friday MORNING. Therefore, they need to be done by thurssday night.

I have 96 cookies total, they are almost all baked and frozen.  These are my options as far as decorating..
1) Take half the cookies out of the freezer Wednesday night, put fondant on them, and decorate them.  Then, on THURSDAY night, take the other half out and put fondant out, and decorate.

OR

2) Take ALL the cookies out wednesday night, and put fondant on all of them.  Then on thursday night, do the decorating on all of them.

Which do you guys think would be easier?? Do you think these cookies will be ok if eaten on saturday and taken out of the freezer on wednesday night??

2 of 2