the uses of White Chocolate
Posted: 11 August 2009 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  117
Joined  2009-03-04

Has any one ever used white chocolate in MBC? Also, I was reading online about a royal icing using white chocolate and cream beaten until stiff….the cream having been brought to boil. I thought , “well that’s Ganache”, but I believe there was more chocolate than cream involved, which would make it thicker than a Ganache, right?  I know Rose speaks of adding White Chocolate to the MBC, but I wonder if you use it more for the “body” of the Buttercream, rather than the taste. What do you experts think?

Posted: 11 August 2009 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18
tofusalem - 11 August 2009 01:18 PM

I know Rose speaks of adding White Chocolate to the MBC, but I wonder if you use it more for the “body” of the Buttercream, rather than the taste. What do you experts think?

Claudia, I think the white choc does add stability to the buttercream b/c of the cocoa butter and if you use a good quality white choc you will definitely taste it in the buttercream. I used it for my brother’s wedding cake. Everybody loved it. Just my two cents worth…...  smile

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 11 August 2009 06:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

I use white chocolate in Mousseline butter cream.  It gives a faint vanilla and cocoa butter flavor and a beautiful texture…I use it both for texture and flavor…usually pairing it with a chocolate butter cake.  Yum!

Posted: 11 August 2009 06:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

this is a very good question.  in my opinion, white chocolate is a very fine source of sugar and butter, plus emulsifiers.  in a buttercream, replacing part of the butter with the white chocolate cocoa butter adds room temperature stability since cocoa butter has a higher melting point.  cocoa butter is also more delicious than butter.

adding white chocolate to the mousseline should be done not in excess, as white chocolate is very sweet.

some good examples of using white chocolate instead of the more traditional butter and confectioners sugar are on the white chocolate cream cheese buttercream recipe on Cake Bible and on the Creme Ivoire.

other applications of white chocolate are on cake, like on the Golden Luxury Butter Cake, where the white chocolate provides the sugar, the butter, and the emulsifiers present on most all chocolate make the texture of the cake dissolve in your mouth!

btw, i keep my white chocolate in the freezer!  and for years.  it is a good way to always have some white chocolate on hand, as it is usually not that easy to find (most supermarket varieties don’t contain cocoa butter).  vacuum pack, and be sure to let it reach room temperature before you open the vacuum bag.  you don’t need to thaw it first in your fridge, provider your vacuum seal is good.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 11 August 2009 08:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-04

So my thought is to have 3 layers of cake per tier. two yellow butter cake layers on either side of a chocolate butter cake layer. I was thinking of torting the chocolate cake layer and filling with chocolate ganache. Then putting chocolate MBC in between the Yellow and Chocolate layers. Do you think it would be too much to add white chocolate to the MBC to coat the cake? How much would you put to a 3 tier batch of butter cream? Also, would you add flavoring to the MBC if you add the white chocolate…such as Vanilla or will the Vanilla in the White Chocolate be enough?

Posted: 12 August 2009 06:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  909
Joined  2009-05-25

I just made a mini Golden Genoise filled with raspberry pastry cream and frosted with the white chocolate Mousseline BC from TCB as a sample wedding cake and the couple loved it!  I don’t like the gritty shortening buttercreams out there, but I often find good butter creams too rich, but for some reason this variation worked for me—so IMHO, I think it’s fine as a frosting!  But keep in mind, I only had 2 cake layers, not 3 and I filled the cake with pastry cream, not BC.  It was delicious without any additional flavourings.

Posted: 12 August 2009 10:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

that is a good reply.  i would say, you just need to taste it, test it.

Signature 

Posted: 14 August 2009 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-04

Hector, Bill et al,

Can I freeze the cake with the White Chocolate added to the MBC? That is if I crumb coat with this, will there be a difference in freezing it with the White Chocolate? I am assuming that a finished cake frosted with the White Chocolate MBC can be in the Fridge up until 6 hours before the wedding…or should I just leave it out over night?

Posted: 14 August 2009 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Does the cake have fondant?  If not, I would refrigerate for 2 days or if longer freeze.  I always display a mousseline cake straight from the fridge, usually wedding cakes are displayed for a good 4 hours!  which is adequate for the mousseline to soften.  Also, it is much sturdier to transport and move a refrigerated mousseline cake.

Signature 

Posted: 14 August 2009 08:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-04

Hector, I haven’t decided whether or not the cake will have Fondant. I know that I will not refrigerate a Fondant cake. The Wedding Ceremony will be at 12Pm. After that, will be the Cocktail hour and then a sit-down Luncheon. I am bringing the cake in the AM, before the ceremony, around 9:30-10 AM. Should I keep it in the refrigerator if it is only the buttercream frosting until I leave with it? Is 4-5 hours enough to bring to room temperature for a butter cake?

Posted: 14 August 2009 10:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

it would really depend if your wedding is indoors or outdoors.

Signature 

Posted: 15 August 2009 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-04

Indoors in November

Posted: 15 August 2009 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Mousseline can stay at room temp for 2 days.  I just wouldn’t move a tiered cake in my weather unless is refrigerated and solid like a tick of butter.  I think in your scenario, it will be fine to leave it out all day since 9 am.  When I did my 7 cake wedding, the main cake was taken out from the fridge at 5 am, carried by car while the outdoor temp was 45 degrees, then sat at the venue indoors where the temperature graduallu warmed to 72 degress.  It was cut at 3 pm!

Signature 

Posted: 16 August 2009 08:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-04

Hector,  You have been more than helpful; and reading what you (and of course the other experts….) have written in the Forum has given me great confidence as I move forward with the wedding cake. Thank you. Claudia

‹‹ Tartine Book by Elisabeth Prueitt      Quiet! ››