RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  780
Joined  2007-11-15

It’s very quiet on here lately, is everyone on holiday/vacation? rolleyes

Posted: 13 August 2009 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Hey, Jeannette, I was thinking exactly the same thing.  It’s probably the ‘quiet before the storm’ of the new book coming out.  I think you should have a holiday too - you COULD come to Scotland….

Annie

Posted: 13 August 2009 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

I agree, where is everyone?

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 13 August 2009 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

*WAVES* Nice to be missed (haha almost typed mixxed! That, too.)

Later….......

Posted: 13 August 2009 07:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

Hi everybody! I’ve been busy with work and garden—it’s school uniform ordering season at work. I have a huge backlog of posts for my blog (sigh) including several Rose recipes.

Wish I could send you all some green beans—we’re having a huge harvest this year. Today we am cooking down some “scratch and dent” apples from the co-op for applesauce, processing and freezing a 10 lb box of Michigan blueberries, and processing some green beans for freezing. Dinner tonight will be Wisconsin brats with potato salad and steamed green beans, followed by ice cream with fruit on top. It’s summer!

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 13 August 2009 08:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2008-09-10

Ooooooooooooooh blueberries!! My favorite. Many good blueberry memories.

..............As the oldest of three, I always had to share everything. One day, when I was about 8, my dad called me into the dining room. there was a large glass bowl water in it. And the treasures within this water were my first blueberries, and just for me! I had a ball smile

Signature 

Try something new, enjoy something familiar. There is a range of joys to explore through creating good food. Plus victories, small and large

Posted: 13 August 2009 11:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2008-04-28

Hi all,

I have been reading the blog and forums often, I promise, just not posting as I have been doing some other “baking”  - see attached smile

Audrey Evelyn arrived on 30 July and is pictured here with her adoring big brother.

Cate

Image Attachments
first cuddle.jpg

Posted: 14 August 2009 04:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  780
Joined  2007-11-15

Congratulations, Cate!  What a lovely picture of brotherly love , I hope it continues as they grow up. 
Barbara, I have blueberries every morning on my porridge, I read they are good for the eyesight, but I like them anyway.  I have never been able to buy them in the quantity you quote though!  Wish I could!  Another thing, what on earth are brats, apart from being naughty children?  Not heard of them in a food context, must be an American thing? question

Posted: 14 August 2009 09:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

Hi Jeanette!  Wisconsin “brats” are short for the German-style sausage, bratwurst.  Parts of Wisconsin are great for German-influenced food and beer, Milwaukee is known for its Oktoberfest.

Cate, congratulations on your new arrival, so sweet to see them in a moment of peace and love!

I’m hoping this weekend, or early next week at the latest, to post a Bake-Off cake, I’m about half way through it now.  It always seems to me that projects (like baking) proceed in slow motion during the summer, what with kids out of school, travel plans, and hotter weather.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 14 August 2009 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Congratulations Cate! The two of them are gorgeous and what a beautiful picture.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 14 August 2009 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

I’ve been on and off lately, been very busy planning a wedding coming up (mine) and focusing on that.  I’ll be doing 8 dozen more cookies this upcoming week though, ill post pictures of the ones you guys haven’t seen yet (if they come out good, which they better or else the grooms mom is going to be very mad lol).

Posted: 14 August 2009 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-03

Congratulations, Cate, what a great picture of the little ones.  I did wonder where you were.  Hope you’ll be back baking soon.  I intend to make something for the bake off next weekend.

Annie

Posted: 14 August 2009 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  640
Joined  2008-01-24

My oven has been broken for almost two months. Fighting with manufacturer over the repair.  confused I was thinking about replacing it with this beauty.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/atq/1320695127.html
Has anyone ever used one of these? grin

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 14 August 2009 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-03

Gene, I can’t believe you have survived without an oven for two months.  Have you been buying bread?  Where can one read info about that oven?  Is it gas fired?  I have to say it looks very interesting and probably makes great pizza.

Annie

Posted: 14 August 2009 09:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

Cate, congratulations!

Julie, thanks for the clarification. I hear that Wisconsin “brats” have changed a bit from their German ancestor. Jim and I rarely eat red meat but we always have to make an exception a few times a year and grill some brats. It’s just one of those iconic Wisconsin summer things…

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 15 August 2009 03:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  640
Joined  2008-01-24

I have the itch pretty bad. The last two weeks has been the worst because the repair guy came but the factory sent the wrong parts. I got a call this morning that they have the correct parts now but it will take them another week to schedule a technician. Arrrgggh!
All I know about that oven is the craigslist pictures. I am fascinated by mechanisms though and it has all of those mysterious wheels and levers. What do you suppose they do?

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

1 of 2