1 of 2
I’m really freaking out…
Posted: 18 August 2009 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

This cookie order is giving me stress. I don’t know how to get these cookies done in time, without them being stale (or dry) by the time the wedding comes!!
THey are due friday morning, and i work wed/thursday all day, and i have too many cookies to decorate in one evening. But the wedding isn’t until Saturday!  Will they be bad if I unfreeze them on wed??
Normally i put TONS of plastic wrap around the cookies so they stay nice, but this time since they are going in a box how am I supposed to do it?? Theres going to be tons or air in it!!!  Any advice will be helpful, as I am going crazy thinking about this.

Posted: 18 August 2009 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

Ski, my heart goes out to you!  I’m pulling for you.

The only thing I can think of is even more work than what you already have, but it’s to put each serving of cookies (are people supposed to have one each?) in a clear bag (like a party favor bag- Wal Mart sells them) and close or seal the bag decoratively, with ribbon or a festive twist tie.  Then put those in the box. 

On the other hand, would the client consider a different pick up time in order to get the freshest quality cookies?  Perhaps a mother or friend who can swing by at a better time?

Good luck!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 18 August 2009 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

idk she said she wanted trays set out but then she said she wanted them like in a box to make transporting easier, so i was going to put them all in a box and then give her trays to set them out how she wants.

Problem is, the wedding is in 1000 islands, and so the LAST person going up is going up friday (wedding on sat), so that is the very last minute thats possible they can be picked up. I can’t drive them there, its way too far lol.

Posted: 18 August 2009 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

I don’t know if this is feasible but, do you have a vacuum sealer? You could vacuum pack them so they stay fresh. It’s more work and I’m sure that is the last thing you need but at least you can rest assured that the cookies will be fresh.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 18 August 2009 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

I don’t have one.
I think i decided i am just going to decorate them ALL on thursday night. If i end up staying up until midnight then so be it. At least then I’ll know they will be more fresh (a whole day wow).  I figure if i get all the piping frosting made prior and get it all in the bags wed night and get my ‘station’ set up, then it should go faster than i am thinking…....I hope so. I usually go to sleep at 10pm lol.

Posted: 18 August 2009 07:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2008-09-10

Hi skiweaver9,

Quality (freshness) does make demands of us, doesn’t it?

.............It sounds like a very good plan. As long as you have that wednesday prep done, your thursday will be less stressful, and go smoothly.

.............I do something similar when preparing to make mutiple batches of dough. I’ll premeasure the dry ingredients and seal my dry mix in a container up to a week ahead of time. Just in case something comes up, (or I take an unplanned nap)- all I have to do is pull out my liquid ingredients and mix.

............looking forward to hearing how it goes.

All the best to you, ....biscuits

Signature 

Try something new, enjoy something familiar. There is a range of joys to explore through creating good food. Plus victories, small and large

Posted: 18 August 2009 09:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

thank you! Ill let you all know how it goes

Posted: 18 August 2009 11:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  313
Joined  2009-07-24

How about wrapping the boxes in plastic wrap?

Signature 

Please visit me at http://cookinginmexico.com/ for recipes and photos

Posted: 19 August 2009 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

I was actually thinking that maybe i should do what Julie suggested and wrapping each of them in a bag. Do you guys think that this would keep each cookie the freshest???  She said they sell them at Walmart, and they also sell them at Michaels for like $4.99 for 50 (What a rip off!) but I am thinking maybe then i can do that instead and then just put them in the box….

??

Posted: 19 August 2009 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

I often put the whole box in a plastic garbage bag, conform the bag as best I can to the box, and seal the bag closed.  I wish you luck…I’ve been known to stay up most of the night (til 3 or 4 AM) and still go to work in the morning, getting an order done that needs to be fresh…It isn’t fun.  Good luck

Posted: 19 August 2009 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

i guess i still feel like if i put all the cookies in a box and then wrap the box in wrap or a bag, then there will still be a lot of air in the box,  opposed to wrapping each cookie up, or wrapping them to a plate.

I am not sure how air tight those bags are though, i’ve never used them.

I have 1 day to decide lol

Posted: 19 August 2009 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

If the cookies are meant to be eaten on the spot, rather than taken home as favors, perhaps just having them on a plate or cake board, then the whole thing wrapped tightly with plastic wrap (inside the box), so they can just pull the wrap off and set them down on tables.  Would being wrapped for a couple of days disturb the fondant?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 19 August 2009 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

yeah they aren’t supposed to be favors. So i will put them on the board, wrap it in wrap and put it in the box. I got a 19x16 box…you think that will hold 96 cookies?? I am worried about piling them on each other. mayb ei should do 2 smaller boxes…

Posted: 19 August 2009 01:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Ski, maybe you could use Glad Press n Seal to wrap the plates of cookies. First wrap it as tightly as possible with plastic wrap and then wrap it with the Press n Seal. Just a thought…........

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 19 August 2009 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

i can try that. do you thinking piling up this many cookies will damage them though> I am putting them on a cake board (like cardboard actually) to put in the bottom of the box so it will be sturdy. so i’d have to wrap around that….

actually, i will sepearate the layers w/ plastic wrap as well. I think this might work.

Posted: 20 August 2009 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-08-18

when i’ve had big cookie orders in the past, i box them in medium-small size boxes and put the box in an extra large ziplocs, and then suck out as much air as possible with a straw.  i’ve never had complaints about the cookies being stale.  it means more boxes, but the decorated cookies stay in better shape, and they stay fresh…good luck!

1 of 2

‹‹ Quiet!      Issues with chocolate mousseline ››