1 of 2
Preparing a baby shower cake, sugar paste pics…. **UPDATE** Finished cake pics
Posted: 20 August 2009 11:49 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2009-01-20

I’m making a baby shower cake for a church family member.  The couple are adopting the sweetest little baby girl.  The shower is on Saturday afternoon.

I decided to try making sugar paste flowers.  I bought pre made sugar paste, and tinted it myself.  I found it realtively easy to work with.  I did some research and spent yesterday collecting supplies. 

Can I just ask a question?  How hard should it be to find a simple ball tool for gum paste in the 5th largest city in America?  I can tell you it was impossible!  I went to Michaels, the one and only cake decorating store im Phoenix, and even the one and only best art supply store.  Nothing.  I wound up using my candy thermometer! lol It worked perfectly since it was all glass.

Anyway, I’m including some pics of the flowers and leaves.  I think they look good for a first time effort.  I also made a gum paste blanket (saw it here, thanks for the idea!).  I also bought some transfers to go around the cake.  I may not use them, I’ll have to see.  Maybe I’ll just make more flowers…..

Feedback please smile

Veronica

Image Attachments
baby shower decorations 005.jpgbaby shower decorations 008.jpgbaby shower decorations 009.jpgbaby shower decorations 013.jpg

Posted: 21 August 2009 05:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  780
Joined  2007-11-15

What lovely ideas!  That little blanket is so cute, how clever!  Please post a picture of the finished cake.

Posted: 21 August 2009 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

how cute!!

Posted: 21 August 2009 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18
mocharoni - 21 August 2009 02:49 AM

I think they look good for a first time effort.  I also made a gum paste blanket (saw it here, thanks for the idea!).

Please tell me you’re kidding about it being your first time.  The flowers and blanket look so professionally done. Not at all like a first timers work. Excellent job!

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 21 August 2009 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-20

Thanks for the compliments!  I’m pleased so far with what I have planned.  I must remember not to fiddle with the sugar paste too much, I broke 2 leaves this morning.

Question…. The shower is Saturday afternoon.  I’ll have to bake, fill and frost today because I have all day plans on Saturday, will rush home to pick up the cake.  Can I refrigerate the decorated cake? 

More pointedly, can gum paste be refrigerated or should I place them on the cake at the last minute?

TIA,

Veronica

Posted: 21 August 2009 10:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

Really lovely gumpaste work!  If that’s how they look first time around, I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 22 August 2009 01:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

We have the same, or similar kitchen counter! But I don’t have anything quite that cute on my counter, at least not at the moment. Beautiful work, Veronica. I would put the gum paste decorations on at the last minutes for sure, especially if you have to refrigerate the cake.

Look forward to seeing the finished cake! Carol

Posted: 22 August 2009 04:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-20

Well, I don’t have to refrigerate the cake, so I finished it this evening and it’s in a box on the diningroom table. 

I had some problems with weeping.  I torted the layers with a peach/mango/orange fruit spread.  I think I used too much, oops!  My buttercream wouldn’t smooth out in one spot, so I wound up using the transfers to hide the imperfections. 

I replaced the leaves I broke this morning and decided to make the little white flowers.  I’m glad I did.  I used every one of them.

I’ll try to get a cake slice pic tomorrow.

V

Image Attachments
baby shower cake 809 0091.jpgbaby shower cake 809 0111.jpgbaby shower cake 809 0121.jpgbaby shower cake 809 0141.jpg

Posted: 22 August 2009 06:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2008-08-13

That is such an adorable cake!! The flowers and blanket look wonderful. like a pro!!

Posted: 22 August 2009 09:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Beautiful, Veronica!!! About the border encircling the bottom with the baby carriages, polka dots, etc. - are those the transfers you bought? Were they the inspiration for your colour scheme? Just gorgeous. I love the little blanket & baby etc. Nice touch with the flowers at the bottom of the cake. In fact, the whole design is so beautifully balanced visually.

You inspire me to want to work with gum paste! Look forward to seeing the slice.

Posted: 22 August 2009 10:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

V, the finished cake is sooo cute!  Very nicely done.  What were the cake/frosting components?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 22 August 2009 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Beautiful cake Veronica! Love the transfer.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 22 August 2009 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

wow that is gorgeous!!  i hope they were happy!!

Posted: 22 August 2009 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2599
Joined  2007-11-15

Absolutely adorable!!!

Signature 

Come visit me at

Blog:  http://butteryum.org
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/ButterYum
Pinterest:  http://www.pinterest.com/butteryum/
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/ButterYum.ATastyLittleFoodBlog

Posted: 22 August 2009 07:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-20

Thanks all! 

Carolita, yes the carriage/polka dot border is a transfer.  It went on top of the mousseline BC just fine.  I’ve just checked it and it’s holding up.  I also checked the flowers after worrying all night that the frosting would melt them, but they’re good.  I didn’t refrigerate the cake.

Julie, I used Rose’s white wedding cake recipe.  One layer I tinted pink, the other was left white.  Then I torted the layers and added a peach/mango/orange fruit spread I like from Costco.  I’ve also used it for Swiss rolls with light chocolate ganache.  The frosting is almond mousseline BC.

Thanks for checking out my pics.  You are all such an encouragement!  I wish I could find a great decorating class around here.  Off to deliver the cake…..

V

Posted: 23 August 2009 01:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-20

The cake was a smash hit, of course.  Everyone said it was very light.  How often do you hear that when talking about a butter cake with buttercream frosting? 

Gotta love Rose’s recipes!

Here’s a pic of the interior of the cake.

V

Image Attachments
cut cake 0011.jpg

1 of 2