Mousseline Flavouring Question
Posted: 24 August 2009 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2008-02-28

I’ve been wondering why the Silk Meringue Buttercream (or is it the Classic Buttercream) has so many flavour variations offered, while the Mousseline Buttercream has only a handful.  Is this something to do with the makeup of the buttercream?  Can the mousseline buttercream actually be flavoured in as many ways?

Posted: 24 August 2009 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

When you consider the liqueurs, fruit purees, fruit curds, and the chocolates, as well as combos like chocolate-grand marnier, chocolate-frangelico, white chocolate-chambord, there are actually quite a lot of options for mousseline!  But I think the real answer to your question is that some flavorings taste better with certain buttercream bases than others. 

Take the lemon, for example.  Lemon juice and zest are wonderful with the richer base of the classic/neoclassic, and lemon curd is wonderful with the mousseline base.  But once, I added lemon juice and zest to the mousseline, and although it worked just fine, it wasn’t nearly as good as the other two options.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 24 August 2009 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Related question for you, Julie! Was it overkill, do you think, to put Limoncello PLUS curd in my mousseline for the wedding this past week? I wondered if that contributed to how soft it was, needing such frequent chilling and rebeating. I cut the liqueur in half (45 grams for single recipe) but maximum amount, 3/4 cup, of the curd. What do you think?

Posted: 25 August 2009 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

I’ve successfully added many of Rose’s buttercream variations to Mousseline, and they’ve all tasted fabulous!  I don’t know why there aren’t more specific variations listed for mousseline, but definitely go for it!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 25 August 2009 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18
Patrincia - 25 August 2009 08:35 PM

I’ve successfully added many of Rose’s buttercream variations to Mousseline, and they’ve all tasted fabulous!  I don’t know why there aren’t more specific variations listed for mousseline, but definitely go for it!

I agree. Here are some of the things I have added to mousseline (not listed in TCB) with success: Nutella, dark ganache, mango puree, passionfruit puree. I know Tammy has successfully added peanut butter to it. It’s a very versatile buttercream.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 25 August 2009 08:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

In addition to Rose’s other bc variations, I’ve added fresh fruit, and pistachio essense from La Cuisine.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 25 August 2009 10:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2008-02-28

Thanks so much!  That’s really what I wanted to know and it’s so useful!

Posted: 29 August 2009 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Carolita, sorry for the late reply, just back in town…

Regarding the lemon curd mousseline, I love it with a little limoncello (less than the full three ounces per batch), but I think you’re right that it would make the buttercream a little softer.  That said, though, it is butter-based, and butter will always respond to temp changes…

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 01 September 2009 09:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  117
Joined  2009-03-04

Patricia, et al…I know you told me this before, but my middle-age brain is not remembering. When you mix the MBC with the Dark chocolate Ganache, was it a 50/50 mix?  If I’m doing this ahead, can I freeze the blend, or should I freeze the MBC and Ganache separately, and combine after bringing to room temperature when I use it.  I can’t believe it’s September all ready!!  My daughter’s Wedding is in 2 months, so I thought I would make all the MBC and Ganache and freeze. What do you think?

Also, for your Ganache covered wedding cake, how many recipes did you make of the Ganache? Thanks.

‹‹ Refreezing Meyer Lemon Juice?      A Gift.... ››