4 of 5
Okay, so who’s gotten their copy of Rose’s Heavenly Cakes?
Posted: 23 September 2009 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Rozanne, the cake is delicious and even better today (next day).  I highly recommend it and it’s very quick to make.  There are SO many recipes in the new book that I want to try….

Jeannette posted her pictures on a new thread. 

Annie

Posted: 23 September 2009 10:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Annie, your gingerbread looks fabulous!  I’m dying to try that texture.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 23 September 2009 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Thank you Annie. I think it’s going to be my next cake from RHC.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 23 September 2009 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

It’s here. It’s really here. First, I just held it in my hands, stroked the cover and smelled the newness. Then I let my heart lead me.

?  Elliott’s golden advice in the dedication—a gift almost equal to the book itself. Thank you for sharing it, Rose.
?  Nodding in agreement with Lisa Yockelson’s comments in the Foreword.
?  Skimming the contents with delight-filled visions of baking adventures ahead.
?  Rose’s acknowledgements and introduction. Her list of highlights led me to the new method for mousseline. Amazing. There is no end to your creativity.
?  Then I had to find the cover cake. Takes my breath away. I don’t know which I’m more excited to try—the ganache or the glaze. I know—both!!!
?  A quick peak at Woody’s lemon cake. You could have knocked me over with a feather the day I read on the forum (or was it in the blog?) that he and I had independently given the name “Lemon Luxury” to a wedding cake. It wasn’t such a leap, because we’d both been drawn to and “lemonized” Rose’s amazing Golden Luxury Butter Cake. Such fun to see the direction he went with the filling and buttercream. A curd made with whole eggs instead of the all-yolk version in TCB. A buttercream that’s unique! Can’t wait to try them both.
?  The Wedding Cake section. Priceless advice all in one place along with inspired new creations to try, to adapt and learn from.
?  Lastly, a fanning through the book from back to front. Is that what you call it, when you use your thumb to regulate the speed at which the pages flip before your eyes in time-lapse fashion? Of course, I couldn’t resist stopping now and then to feast my eyes. The photos are beyond belief.

Brand new cakes beckon; old and dear friends wave at me in new dress. Where to start? One fact makes it easy. Someone is celebrating a special anniversary this weekend and asked for a chocolate cake.

As for which chocolate cake, it will be the sentimental choice. Rose started me on my journey to becoming a professional baker when I made her 3-tier chocolate butter cake for my daughter’s wedding on 08/08/98. I notice she has used the same recipe for her new Chocolate Velvet Fudge Cake, except for a change in how the water’s added. I’m so looking forward to seeing the difference that makes. See you in the bake-off thread!  smile

Posted: 23 September 2009 06:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  767
Joined  2007-11-15

So glad to see you’ve got your copy as well, Carol!  Annie and I thought we were going to be the last to get ours, I got mine on Monday,Annie got hers yesterday and we both made the English Gingerbread late yesterday, with great success.  It is a problem deciding what to make next , isn’t it?  There are so many lovely cakes to choose from, I think I will do something along the chocolate route next, too.

Posted: 23 September 2009 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Lovely Annie - just lovely. 

So, has everyone gotten their copy now?

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 23 September 2009 06:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-09

Thanks, Jeannette! I was about to post a reply to your thread with the picture of that yummy looking gingerbread. Annie’s looked scrumptious, too!

I was wondering if we should post our experiences with the new book to the Cakes Q&A section under the name of each cake. That way, we can more easily see the lessons each of us is learning, any possible pitfalls and so forth—also, any exciting new variations!

Just a thought. Maybe a crazy one. It probably doesn’t matter. I’m just so excited to see what people do! And it’s hard to know whether to look for those posts in Show and Tell, Cakes, this thread or, for chocolate during September, the Bake-off thread.

Posted: 23 September 2009 06:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15
[quote author=“Carolita” date=“1253755973"I was wondering if we should post our experiences with the new book to the Cakes Q&A section under the name of each cake. That way, we can more easily see the lessons each of us is learning, any possible pitfalls and so forth—also, any exciting new variations!

I like that idea!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 24 September 2009 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Oh dear, I’ve just read this and started a new thread under Show and Tell for the Banana Cake.  Hope that’s OK.

Annie

Posted: 24 September 2009 01:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-09

No worries, Annie! It was just a thought. But if most of us like the idea, maybe we’ll gravitate over time to the Cakes Q&A with our RHC posts. Or here’s another idea. We could stay in the Show & Tell section, but use it the same way. Whole threads on a single recipe, and different people’s experience with the recipe instead of one person’s “show and tell.” Don’t want to confuse things…  confused Just going…  hmmm  What do you think?

Was so excited to see your banana cake post with pix. Look forward to hearing how you like the taste, texture and so forth. How it compares for you with the one in TCB. Etc.

Posted: 28 September 2009 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2009-09-06

Hello everyone,
I’m new to the forum. 
I placed my order with Amazon last night for Rose’s new book.  I will hopefully have it by the 6th October.
I can’t wait to get started.  I plan on making her chocolate sponge for my son and daughters christening cake if it arrives on time.  Also very excited about trying her lacquer glaze at some point.

Posted: 28 September 2009 03:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Weegem I made the cake with the lacquer glaze yesterday and although I am not an experienced decorator of cakes I found it easy enough to do with Rose’s explicit instructions!  It is sooo attractive when made, I can’t stop looking at it! tongue wink

Posted: 28 September 2009 04:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2009-09-06

I saw that post in the september bake thread.  It looks amazing and i really can’t wait to have a go.

Posted: 28 September 2009 08:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

Hi folks, sorry I haven’t posted much lately. I ordered my copy through a local bookstore (Madison is fortunate to have several great independent bookstores, so I try to do as their business association suggests and “support your local independent booksellers.”)

Wow! I have had trouble putting the book down. My husband had to call me several times to brunch on Sunday because I was reading….

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 29 September 2009 04:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Those of us with the book know the feeling Barbara! LOL

4 of 5

‹‹ Coarse Salt      Heavy Cream Substitution ››