Heavy Cream Substitution
Posted: 07 September 2009 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2009-05-25

I only have 33%-35% whip cream available to me and was hoping to come up with a good substitution for heavy cream (Both for whipping and adding to other ingredients).  Here are my two suggestions (which will be refined when I come up with the mass of each cup of ingredient):

Add a combination of 33% whip cream and 48% Double Devon cream:
0.53 of a cup of whip cream + 0.47 of a cup of Double Devon cream

Add 80% softened butter to the 33% whip cream:
0.15 of a cup butter and 0.85 of a cup whip cream

Has anyone tried this?  I do realize the Devon Cream solution could be a bit expensive… but if I needed a small amount, it’s an option.

Posted: 07 September 2009 08:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi Sherrie - I’m sorry I don’t know anything about Double Devon Cream, but you should be able to use your 33-35% cream for both whipping and using as an ingredient when heavy cream is called for.  Adding butter to your cream will certainly increase the fat content, but I don’t know if it will help your cream whip any better.  Do let us know what you end up doing.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 07 September 2009 08:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2007-11-16

If you have The Cake Bible, read page 254, Real Old Fashioned Whipped Cream. Rose adds butter to heavy cream to raise the fat content.  She suggests 1/4 cup cream and 1/4 cup butter melted together, cooled to room temperature, then add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.  Whip 3/4 cup cream until traces of beater marks show distinctly. Add the butter mixture in a steady stream, constantly beating on low speed, until stiff peaks form when the beater is raised.  It will be smoothest when the butter mixture is added gradually.

Posted: 07 September 2009 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Good find MrsM - I looked on the chart for substitutions in TCB, and there was no mention of Heavy Cream, but I thought I recalled reading about adding butter somewhere in the book.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 07 September 2009 09:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2007-11-16

I remembered this because I use the stabilized whipped cream a lot for cakes, where Rose suggests heating part of the heavy cream with cornstarch to thicken, then beating this into the rest of the cream.  I’ve never tried the butter addition as the heavy cream I have whips up just fine.  I might try a little bit, just to see the difference in mouth feel and taste.

Posted: 07 September 2009 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2009-05-25

I do recall reading that in TCB as well, but I was wondering if it would work if I didn’t need to whip the cream.

Posted: 08 September 2009 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

I’d guess yes.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at