Champagne Cake Recipe
Posted: 09 September 2009 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2007-11-17

Hi Cakers,
I am in search for a good scratch recipe for a Champagne Cake suitable for a wedding.
Any suggestions?
Thank you,
Lori V.

Signature 

We should enjoy Today while it’s here because someday Today will be a Long Time Ago!
Pastries By Vreeke

Posted: 09 September 2009 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1074
Joined  2007-11-15

Someone just posted they had a recipe on the main blog a few weeks ago.  You might check there.

Posted: 09 September 2009 09:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

Roland Messnier has a chocolate genoise cake paired with a champagne mousse- I haven’t made it, but he says the mousse still has the bubbles from the champagne.  It’s in Dessert University.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 09 September 2009 10:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  592
Joined  2007-11-27
Vreeke - 09 September 2009 05:56 PM

Hi Cakers,
I am in search for a good scratch recipe for a Champagne Cake suitable for a wedding.
Any suggestions?
Thank you,
Lori V.

Nice picture in the latest issue of Modern Wedding Cakes and Chocolates (a magazine published in Australia, if you are not familar with it)!  Congrats! smile

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 10 September 2009 06:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Lori, I mainly want to say hi. It was great to see your name again among the postings! You must be very busy. Will add my congrats to Jeanne’s and hope to get my hands on a copy of the magazine to see your picture.

Had a look in my books re: your query. No champagne cakes as such. But one suggestion: what about a champagne sabayon filling stabilized with gelatin? Since the filling would be so rich, you could pair it with a leaner cake. Vanilla? Also checked online. Lots of rubbish about cake mixes and pink champagne. I did find one scratch champagne chiffon cake on a blog. The same one, I believe, that was posted to Rose’s blog, which she advised would only work in a tube pan. Here’s the link: http://bakingbites.com/2007/12/champagne-chiffon-cake/

My CIA baking and pastry book says that batters made by the chiffon mixing method are more stable than batters in which beaten (foamed) eggs are used. According to them, the method produces a tender, moist crumb with ample structure and stability, making it a good choice building tiered cakes. Their chiffon cake recipe offers several variations but not one with champagne. Perhaps you could come up with your own variation?

Good luck with it! Would love to know how you make out.

‹‹ Salt in Genoise      Cupcakes too delicate? ››