The original is classic, but I I wanted to be more adventurous, and see how I could adapt my recipe. So I started trying some combinations out. Over the past few years, I have made the following variations.
1. Carrot raisin
2. Hazelnut chocolate
3. Deep chocolate with roasted banana and hazelnuts
4. roasted honey banana walnut
5. fruit punch -lemon zest lime zest , mandarin orange, blueberry, strawberry
6. lemon pepper
7. apple cider…..cider vinegar, apples, brown sugar, sparkling cider
8. brown sugar
9. corn cob
10. sweet potato pecan with a ginger, pecan, white chocolate ganache (love the ganache!!)
11. Italian- freshly grated parmesan and asiago cheeses, diced ball mozzarela, campari tomatoes, olive oil, and oregano
12. (super) peppermint
............Bringing food ideas to life is fun, and I have a greater respect for my main recipe because I know more than anyone else the possibilities that are just around the corner
P.S. An Adventurous Flavor
...........I was having a tasting at my house a few years ago, when I decided to try a peppermint biscuit with red food color,peppermint extract, and crushed peppermint candy. However, I forgot to buy the candy! That meant that the extract would be my only source of the peppermint flavor.
............I decided that the best way to blend it into my dough would be to add it to the buttermilk. .The extract infused buttermilk didn’t smell very minty, so I added more extract several times, until I realized that it ther had to be enough in it. I made the dough as usual, and baked it. There was a gentle waft of peppermint in the air.
...........Curious, I tried some of my pink peppermint biscuit. It did not smell very minty, but that set me up for a suckerpunch of peppermint power that open my eyes and cleared my sinuses!! the funny thing is, after the explosion of peppermint flavor each bite contained, the taste would change back to tasting like the original dough as i chewed. Every first bite of a piece took me for this same ride.
..........An unexpected twist in how this bread came out made me think this: There are probably some other people who would like this sort of adventure. Hmmmm