Lindt Piccoli Chocolate?
Posted: 12 September 2009 03:09 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  905
Joined  2009-05-25

I was wondering if anyone has tried Lindt Piccoli Chocolate?  I’m intrigued due to the hexagonal disks (yay!! no more chopping) and in a variety of cacao masses.  I don’t have access to much good chocolate here and I was placing an order with a retailer who has the Piccolo and was thinking about ordering some (perhaps more) if I knew it was good.

Posted: 12 September 2009 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Sherrie, I use this chocolate and love it. I have a Lindt outlet close to my place and buy it from there. It is definitely worth it. I used it for the chocolate band for this cake: http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/998/

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 12 September 2009 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Thanks for the recommendation, Rozanne.  And oh my, your cake is gorgeous!  I must have missed the posting or perhaps it was after I started appearing here smile  The band is perfect.  I am so eager to try some of Rose’s new recipes, but I don’t have any 60-62% chocolate available locally.  I was going to purchase some items from McCall’s (any chance that’s your source?) and I thought if I could even get my hands on some 65%, that would suffice.  My other plan was to “cut” some 70% with some 47% Callebaut, but I hate mixing chocolate if I can avoid it.

Posted: 12 September 2009 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

Thank you Sherrie. No, it’s not McCalls, it’s a Lindt outlet. They only carry Lindt and Ghirardelli products. Unfortunately, they don’t ship their products. They have weekly specials and sadly there is no way of finding out what’s on special unless you visit the store. The best sales are after Christmas, Easter, Valentine’s Day etc. The 100g dark choc bunnies, santas etc go on sale for $1. How much was the bag of Piccoli from your source?

Signature 

Posted: 12 September 2009 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

There are so many excellent chocolates in the world, each with its own profile and best possible use. But hands-down, the Lindt couverture wafers are my favourite all-purpose brand—both white and dark. Yes, they’re great for quick melting, easy measuring and handling. But above all, I love the taste.

The hex shape even came in handy once as a decorative element. Here’s the post with cake photo. Additional details a couple of msgs later in reply to Patricia, who asked specifically about the wafers:
http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/680/P30/#5849

Added by edit: Don’t know what the recipes are calling for, exactly, Sherrie. But could you not use the Lindt bitter-sweet wafers which have 58% cocoa solids? The main difference between the bitter-sweet and the 70% Ecuador apart from degree of sweetness is in how it flows. Normal for Ecuador, thin flowing for the bitter-sweet. I use the bitter-sweet for all of Rose’s choc cakes in TCB.

Posted: 12 September 2009 04:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Great reviews Carolita and Rozanne.  I am definitely going to order some.  Carolita, your cake is awesome, I have always wanted to try the Silver Palate carrot cake, but since Rose has one in the new book, I will try hers first—now I have some ideas for decoration smile  I was thinking of ordering through Mc Call’s and their price is $1.65/100g + shipping.  That is very reasonable for me as the cheapest I have ever found Lindt Excellence here is $1.99/100g and the Callebaut bulk is $1.38/100g (and not my favourite, that’s for sure but sometimes it’s all I can get).  I must have got my %s wrong as I have been scouring to find cacao masses for the chocolate I can buy here, and I WILL certainly use the 58% wafers—infact, if I was wanting 62%, I could add some 70% to the 58%, but of course that would be a bit obsessive wink  On an aside, I have no local suppliers of Vahlrona or Ghiradelli and these are often the recommended choc’s by Rose. At least I can get Green and Black’s, but their dark is 70%, and I’d like something in the 60% range.

Posted: 12 September 2009 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-09

Seems like a pretty good deal to me. I got my last order of white piccoli wafers wholesale at 1.20/100grams (2.5K bag at 29.89). Are you anywhere near Mississauga? I did a quick search on Lindt couverture wafers and found this old (2006) chowhound reference to a Lindt sort-of factory outlet: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/332199

btw I probably wasn’t clear that 70% Ecuador is one of the piccoli choices. I have an info sheet from Lindt that shows the full range of what they offer in the hex couverture wafers—8 different products in all (5 darks, 2 milks and one white). The info doesn’t seem to be available on their website—only details on their retail products. Let me know if you’d like the complete list with cocoa mass percentages.

Posted: 12 September 2009 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

Sherrie, not sure where you are located but there are Lindt outlets in Mississauga, Kitchener and Toronto. The 2.5kg bag of piccoli couverture is $29.99.

Signature 

Posted: 12 September 2009 10:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Hmmn…the 2.5 kg is $41.25, so I guess I’m overpaying.  I’m out in the boonies…Saskatoon smile  and there are no Lindt outlets here.  But…it’s a pretty good deal considering what is available here.  An Carolita, I would love to get my hands on the details of your facts sheet!  Very much appreciate your expertise!

Posted: 13 September 2009 12:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-09

Thanks, Sherrie!! But it’s not expertise in this case, just that I picked up a product info sheet at my local cake supply store.  wink

Don’t feel too bad about the prices where you are. When I can’t get Lindt wafers wholesale, I have to pay about $57 for 2.5k at that same cake supply store. I know retailers have to make a living, and stuff does have to be trucked over to the Island. But that level of mark-up seems high to me, too!

Here’s the scoop on the different wafers in the Lindt piccoli couverture product line:
1.  Cocoa Mass 98% cocoa solids - superior quality cocoa, May be used to flavour mass (whatever that means?). Normal flowing.
2.  70% Ecuador - contains 70% Ecuadorian cocoa. Intensive, balanced cocoa flavour. Normal flowing.
3.  Bitter-sweet 58% cocoa solids - cocoa percentage slightly higher than Excellence (next item). Strong, slightly bitter cocoa flavour. Thin flowing.
4.  Excellence 54% cocoa solids - Percentage of cocoa slightly higher than Surfin. Balanced, slightly bitter cocoa flavour. Thin flowing.
5.  Surfin (semi-sweet) 52% cocoa solids - Semi sweet with a high percentage of cocoa. Balanced cocoa flavour. Normal flowing.
6.  Milk Extra 38% cocoa solids - high percentage of cocoa butter and milk fat. Balanced milky flavour. Thin flowing.
7.  Milk 37% cocoa solids - high percentage of cocoa butter and milk fat. Balanced milky flavour. Normal flowing.
8.  White 36% cocoa solids - contains no dried cocoa paste. Neutral, sweet milky flavour. Normal flowing.

Posted: 13 September 2009 12:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Great information Carolita!  Now I have to narrow down my order—I don’t know if I can justify purchasing one of each!  Do you have a preference for one milk chocolate over the other?  I am almost debating about the 98%.  I recently picked up the Lindt Excellence 99% for the tweed Angel Cake in the new book—I’m still working on getting the Golden Genoise to work for a 6” and have many egg whites to consume.  Firstly, I discovered when I opened it that it was 50g not the usual 100g (although in hindsight I recall thinking that it felt lighter at the store)—so I was glad I bought two packs.  I decided to try some…I’ve savoured 3 or 4 squares already—I am a bit astonished that my sweet tooth would enjoy it—I guess chocolate trumps sugar.  Definitely not reminiscent of the gritty unsweetened Bakers Secret variety I thought my mom used to plant in her cupboards smile I suppose I am cutting down on some sugar with my new found addiction.

Posted: 13 September 2009 01:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-09

Sherrie, I don’t use milk chocolate as a rule—only once in the last several years that I can recall. So I’m not much help on that question from personal experience. My guess is that the two milk choc choices are pretty much the same except for the viscosity (thin or normal flowing due to slightly higher fat content in the Milk Extra). So the Extra would be most appropriate for coating applications like dipping shortbread at Christmas, and the regular would be first choice for moulding pralines, filling and flavouring applications.

Posted: 13 September 2009 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

Carol, thank you for taking the time to type out that Lindt info. It’s excellent!

Signature