Anyone out there make jam or preserves?
Posted: 12 September 2009 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi guys.  Do any of you talented bakers make homemade jams, jellies, or preserves?  If so, can I make them using frozen berries?

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 12 September 2009 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

I have successfully made apple jelly at Christmas as gifts with juice that I’ve frozen in September. When there’s such bounty from a neighbour’s tree, it’s hard to find the time to do the whole process. So one year, I decided to try processing all those apples just to where the juice had dripped undisturbed for several hours. I’d do a batch in the morning and another at night. It’s amazing how many uses I have found for that wonderful apple juice concentrate!!!

Of course, apples have a lot of pectin. No idea how it would work to make jams and jellies with frozen berries and such. But my freezer book says that “dry-packed” fresh frozen fruit may be used in all recipes much as you would use fresh fruit, adjusting for the amount of sugar used. I think I’d start cooking the fruit before it had completely thawed, because flavour, appearance and texture deteriorate more quickly than with fresh. But that’s just a hunch.

Posted: 12 September 2009 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Patricia, I make jams, marmalades and jellies (just been picking blackberries today) but only from fresh fruit.  I agree with Carol that texture might be an issue but you’ll have no trouble with jellies as you remove all the solids anyway.  I like Rose’s conserves as they are so flavourful so you could try the raspberry as you only use some of the seeds in the final jam.  I’m not sure that the strawberry would work.  What fruit did you have in mind?

Annie

Posted: 12 September 2009 05:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2007-11-15

I’ve made Rose’s conserve using all sorts of fruits, frozen, fresh, you name it.

Have you tried it yet?

The basic idea is quite simple (pound of fruit, certain amount of water, certain amount of sugar), and an easy way to experiment. I haven’t made it in a while, but it’s very adaptable.

Posted: 12 September 2009 10:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Thanks for your responses everyone… after a bit of online research, it appears I can indeed use frozen fruit (no sugar added).  I’ll report back!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 13 September 2009 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1420
Joined  2007-11-15

Cr raspberry conserve or sauce is excellent with frozen berries.  The strawberry one is less bright in color. Rose likes American Spoon Foods fruit butters a lot!

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 14 September 2009 01:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

I grow my own Niabell concord grapes. I prefer to freeze them before I make them into jelly because the fruit releases more juice as it thaws. This means I don’t have to cook the fruit as long to extract the juice, hence, the jelly tastes less cooked. Another trick: I use Pomona’s Universal Pectin (I buy it at Whole Foods). It is an all-natural product that requires less sugar to jell. Good luck with your preserving projects! smile

Posted: 14 September 2009 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2008-08-19

Hi Patrincia,

I make strawberry and raspberry jam, and I usually make one batch with fresh berries, then freeze the correct fruit amount for several more batches later in the year (i.e for strawberry jam, I freeze 5 cups of the crushed fruit in a ziploc bag).  I can’t tell the difference from the fresh or frozen berry batches.