filling bubbling, crust soggy, pie undercooked
Posted: 14 September 2009 11:51 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-09-14

Hello, just encountering this problem with pies, I never have had this happen before.
My filling is bubbling, top crust is looking yummy & golden, but after it cools and is cut, the pie is undercooked.  I’m afraid if i bake it longer, the bottom crust will burn.
I bake the pies from frozen on a cookie sheet on the bottom rack.  Starting at 425 for 10 min, then 400.  I use aluminum pie tins(gasp), because I sell the pies at a farmers market.  So I can’t check out the bottom crust.
Like I said, this method has worked in the past, I’m not sure why this is happening now.
Any advice for a newbie?:)
Jessica

Posted: 15 September 2009 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

Hi there. Awhile ago, there was a thread on this board addressing this issue. In brief, two options: Bake the pie directly on a preheated pizza stone, OR bake it directly on the bottom of the oven. “Pie & Pastry Bible” gives these pointers for avoiding a soggy crust, and addresses other pie-related issues that could be helpful. Good luck!

Posted: 15 September 2009 04:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  904
Joined  2009-05-25

Welcome to the forum!  Nice to have new members.  I rarely have my bottom crust finish before my top crust.  How long are you baking?  Also, do you have to tent/cover your top crust?  I almost always have to when baking from frozen.  If your pie is coming out of the freezer, is it possible to transfer it to another type of same sized pan (pyrex) so you can check the bottom?  I totally agree about the baking stone—it’s a must for pie baking.

Posted: 15 September 2009 05:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

Another problem might be your oven temperature. Maybe the oven is running cooler than usual. You can double-check it with a digital thermometer (mine has an infrared beam and it is fairly accurate).