1 of 8
September Bake-Off
Posted: 15 September 2009 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

I’m going to cheat a bit in using a photo from late last month to kick off our exploration of chocolate and chocolate decorations this month. My own focus will be mostly on the latter—though who knows what might happen, when I finally get my hands on the new book!!!!  grin

I have some white chocolate left over from doing a wedding cake in August. I collected tons of patterns for borders and such online. That gave me an itch to learn more and do better in using chocolate ornamentation. Actually, it was an itch I’d had for some time. I watched one of my instructors make the most incredible chocolate plaque with dark and white couverture for my sister’s wedding cake two years ago. All I could think and feel was, “Wow!”

Will tell you more about the photo another day. For now, will just mention that I found the pattern at the Wilton website. This link is a wonderful resource, if you’re looking for inspiration: http://www.wilton.com/decorating/patterns/patternlocator.cfm

Can’t wait to hear what everyone else plans and to see the results! Carol

Image Attachments
IMG_0411.jpg

Posted: 15 September 2009 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Carolita, those are lovely!  What method did you use to temper?  And are they piped from a bag?  metal tip?

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 15 September 2009 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Carol, they are so pretty! Very professional looking. Yes please let us know the method and what tools you use.
Oh I’m so excited now about the bake off.. Can’t wait to get home from work so I can start looking at TCB to see what I want to make for the bake off!

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 15 September 2009 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

This is Le Succes from A Passion for Chocolate pp125.  I must admit I haven’t made too many recipes from this book but each one has been a winner.  This consists of three layers of almond dacquoise filled and covered with ganache.  The cake is then dusted with cocoa powder.  Rose says it’s her favourite of the Bernachons’ cakes and I must say it is delicious.  The lightness and crunchiness of the meringue contrasts beautifully with the creamy ganache.  I used 64% chocolate.

Annie

PS Oh dear, I’m still not able to upload pictures - I’ll add them when the problem is fixed

Image Attachments
RoseLeSucces1.jpgRoseLeSucces2.jpg

Posted: 15 September 2009 02:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-09

Thank you, Julie and Jenn! Quick temper in the microwave. Added a few drops of glycerine as Rose describes in TCB p 388. Used parchment cones. I found it extreeeeemely frustrating learning how to make the cones initially. But once I got the hang of it, really found them superior for piping chocolate.

Posted: 15 September 2009 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-09

Annie!!! So sorry, I checked and triple-checked the Show and Tell section before starting the September Bake-off thread. Read where you were having computer troubles. Le Succes sounds divine - can’t wait to see it! The only recipe I’ve made from that book of Rose’s was the one for pains au chocolat. They were wonderful!

Good luck with the computer gremlins! Carol

Posted: 15 September 2009 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Carol, I’ve made the chocolate croissant from Rose’s The Pastry Bible book a couple of times last year. I’m waiting for the weather to cool off a bit so I can make it again. I want to try using Plugra or European Style Butter next time (previously I use Horizon Organic butter) - I will post picture when this happens! Back to the croissant, they were so wonderful! Really taste just like the ones from pattisserie in France.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 15 September 2009 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Annie, that sounds wonderful!  You’ll be excited to hear that Rose has included Le Success in Heavenly Cakes- you’re baking from the new book already.

Good Luck with the pictures.

Signature 

Posted: 15 September 2009 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-03

Oh, Carol, I think it took me about an hour of trying so we obviously had crossed lines.  I’ve posted my pictures now.  I wonder if we can merge the two threads.  Does anyone know how?

Love your piping - did you use some of them on the cake?

Posted: 15 September 2009 07:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-03

What a coincidence that the recipe is in the new book - I had no idea.  Rose does say it’s her favourite cake in the chocolate book.  I’m very interested to see if the recipe has changed.  The oven temp & time in this recipe are very different from the dacquoise in the Cake Bible - hot and fast as opposed to cool and long.  I piped the dacquoise so that is why they are so bumpy!  Tastes great and better second day when the flavours have melded together.

Posted: 15 September 2009 09:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Annie, it’s beautiful!  I’ll be right over to help with the leftovers.

How does the texture seem on day two?  Is the dacqoise still a little crunchy, or has it gone soft and fluffy?  And does it seem pretty sweet, or is the sugar well-balanced?  I’ve been thinking about making dacquoise off and on for a while, it’ll be great to get your read on it.

Signature 

Posted: 15 September 2009 09:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2008-08-13

Annie the cake looks wonderful! I really like the way you decorated the top with a grid design, simple and effective!

Posted: 15 September 2009 09:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2008-08-13

Carolita those are really pretty!! So delicate looking.

Posted: 15 September 2009 10:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Your cake looks delicious! Wish I could have a piece now wink

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 15 September 2009 10:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Very elegant work Carol! I love it. Thank you for sharing the link.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 15 September 2009 11:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2008-02-28

Wow the inside of the cake looks excellent.

1 of 8