6 of 8
September Bake-Off
Posted: 27 September 2009 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  768
Joined  2007-11-15

Thank you Rozanne and Carol , we’ve just tried it and I’m pleased with the taste as well!  Next time I make it I’ll be more confident. wink

Posted: 27 September 2009 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Ohhhhhh Jeannette it’s superb.  I just love your cake and it makes my heart sing that we now have this recipe available to us for the measly price of ?12.99.  It’s worth the price of the book alone.  What are you going to do with the left over glaze - the baby grands maybe?

Posted: 27 September 2009 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  602
Joined  2007-11-18

JEANNETTE:
  Good evening to you Jeannette. I enjoyed seeing the photos of your good looking cake. I am sure it tasted as well as it appears.

Good luck to you Jeannette & & keep up the good work & enjoy the rest of the day.

~CASS.

Posted: 27 September 2009 05:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Brava, Jeanette, your cake is beautiful!!  Did you make the ganache as written, with the creme fraiche?  What did you think of it? 

Yes, “stroppy”- what a great word, it made me laugh!  Another great British-ism is “tuck in”, just love it.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 27 September 2009 07:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15
Julie - 26 September 2009 01:15 AM

Patrincia, those look totally luscious and very chocolate-y!  Your daughter must be thrilled!  Wonderful photos, too.  Is this the lovely girl who baked you a birthday cake?  Happy Birthday to her!

I’m going to look for a squeeze bottle next time I’m at the store…

Oops, forgot to mention that the birthday girl is the younger daughter, not the one who baked the cake for my birthday.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 27 September 2009 07:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Oh Jeannette - what a fantastic looking cake!  So glad you made it despite your anxiety (I’m the same way with something unfamiliar).  That glaze is amazing!!!!!  Any helpful tips or observations made during your experience that you’d like to pass along?

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 27 September 2009 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15
AnnieMacD - 27 September 2009 06:38 PM

Ohhhhhh Jeannette it’s superb.  I just love your cake and it makes my heart sing that we now have this recipe available to us for the measly price of ?12.99.

Sounds like you got to purchase your book a bit cheaper than the US.  I paid $27, which I believe is roughly 16 or so pounds.  Anyone in Canada care to share what they paid?

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 27 September 2009 11:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

$28.77 through Amazon. That was a sale price - introductory offer? Current sale price 30.21, reg price 47.95.

p.s. Prices in Canadian dollars, btw

Posted: 28 September 2009 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

$31.64 from Chapters. It was 34% off.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 29 September 2009 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

Jeannette, beautiful! I was intrigued by the video on Amazon’s site where it’s demonstrated. I get my book tonight I think, so I may try it as well for my contribution to the September bake-off, which may slip into October since it’s really busy at work. My next bride (and friend of mine) requested another trial of the chocolate oblivion for her kids to try, so I was thinking about doing that with the glaze.

Any opinion on whether I could pour it directly on the chocolate oblivion, or would it work much better on an in-between ganache?

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 30 September 2009 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Silke, the advantage of using a ganache layer before glazing is that the glaze will go over a smoother, more perfect surface, instead of showing all the bumps and slopes of the oblivion.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 01 October 2009 05:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 87 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-25

Ok, a bit last minute, but here’s my September contribution. It’s the 31. of September today, right? And I baked it yesterday….

I got my Heavenly Cakes, and of course I wanted to try something new! So I made the Valentines Cake - forgot the exact name. It’s the chocolate cake that’s saturated with chocolate ganache after baking. I made 1/2 the recipe and baked it in a 6” pan instead of a 9” heart shaped pan, and it worked out ok.

It baked fine, but it looked horrible after I poured the ganache on. It was not even, and blotchy… And the sides were bad, too. The recipe calls for raspberries on it which I think would be great. However, in order to help with the looks and to complement the chocolaty taste I decided to put an amaretto white chocolate ganache on. So - Tadaaaa - here it is.

It tastes fabulous btw. Very chocolaty, nice and dense and fudgy, but not too sweet. Really really good!

Image Attachments
IMG_0809.jpgIMG_0813.jpgIMG_0814.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 01 October 2009 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 88 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  768
Joined  2007-11-15

Lovely pictures, Silke, I particularly like the way you’ve decorated it!  Simple but attractive.  Good idea scaling the recipe down too, I shall use that idea as there are only two of us, a big cake is not always practical.

Posted: 01 October 2009 05:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 89 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-25

Thanks Jeanette. I decorated it this morning before running off to work (with it), so it was a bit of a rush job. I really wanted to try that lacquer glaze but I need some quiet time for it. Yeah, I like my 4” and 6” pans, I’m not a very big fan of cupcakes but like the small versions of the big cakes, that way you can decorate a bit nicer.

We gathered the 5 people from our office and our neighboring offices (all really small) and had a little afternoon coffee and cake. “Delicious” was what everybody said, not just me.

Signature 

Posted: 01 October 2009 06:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 90 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Utterly charming, Silke. Glad to hear about the taste test, too!

6 of 8