1 of 2
Canning/Preserving…
Posted: 16 September 2009 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Gene’s photos of his gorgeous Italian Plums inspired me to start this thread.  (Gene, would you mind posting a photo of your plums here as well?)

Personally, I’d like to thank everyone who answered my recent question about canning jams, jellies, and preserves.  Thank you especially to Gia, who gave me detailed instructions, enabling my very first batch of strawberry jam to be a complete success.  I’ll be posting lots of photos on my blog soon, but here’s a quick photo to share.

Image Attachments
P1070551a (Medium).jpgP1070580a (Medium).jpg
 Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 16 September 2009 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

that is such a pretty picture. Actually, all your pictures are very nice!  WHat is that in the jars anyways??

Posted: 16 September 2009 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15
skiweaver9 - 16 September 2009 03:21 PM

that is such a pretty picture. Actually, all your pictures are very nice!  WHat is that in the jars anyways??

LOL… I guess I forgot to mention that…. it’s strawberry jam.  I’ll fix the post above.  Thanks smile

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 16 September 2009 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  767
Joined  2007-11-15

Lovely jars, Patricia., and always lovely pictures! smile

Posted: 16 September 2009 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Yes, P, lovely photo, beautiful jars, and yummy strawberry jam!  Are you planning to use it up over the winter or give it away (holidays are approaching…).

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 16 September 2009 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

YUM!!!!

Hey Julie thats a great idea, giving out jam for christmas. Last year i did cookies and it was a major pain (made 12 differnt types). Jams….hmmm

Posted: 16 September 2009 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Thank you Jeannette - YOU are lovely!

Julie - I had intended to use the jam, but you bring up a good idea… I should think about sharing it.  The process was so easy - can’t believe I’ve never done it before.  Will definitely be making more!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 16 September 2009 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

Congratulations, Patrincia, on your canning project. Your jam looks gorgeous. Definitely give them away as gifts, if you have extra. People appreciate things like that.

Posted: 16 September 2009 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15
Christine S. - 16 September 2009 03:47 PM

Congratulations, Patrincia, on your canning project. Your jam looks gorgeous. Definitely give them away as gifts, if you have extra. People appreciate things like that.

So very true!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 16 September 2009 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

how easy was it????  What about the cost? Do jams take a lot of $ to make? (like if you are broke and doing that instead of buying gifts…..)

Posted: 16 September 2009 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15
skiweaver9 - 16 September 2009 04:59 PM

how easy was it????  What about the cost? Do jams take a lot of $ to make? (like if you are broke and doing that instead of buying gifts…..)

Hi Ski - It was extremely easy… I should have my blog post up in a day or two (complete with lots of how to photos). 

I used frozen berries that I purchased, but the cost would be substantially less expensive if you use fruit you grow yourself - once you have the canning jars, all you need is a package of pectin and 7 cups of sugar.  I bought a 2-pack of pectin for less then $2 (one package made 8 jars of jam).  I found 12 canning jars marked down to $7 because it’s the end of the summer.  The jars and rings can be reused, but the flat lids should be replaced each canning process.

I have raspberries and blueberries in the freezer… might try those next.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 16 September 2009 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

so interesting! I might do this for CHristmas!  Forget growing my own berries though, we had a hard enough time growing tomatoes this year!

Posted: 16 September 2009 04:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Great picture Patricia (as always). I love the colour. I hope you add me to your list of people you want to give the jam to.  smile  Looking forward to your blog posting.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 16 September 2009 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2008-08-19

Try the raspberries for sure!  I used to swear allegiance to strawberry jam, but once I tried raspberry I was hooked!  I use the same recipe as for making strawberry jam, but after crushing the berries, I put half the mixture (or you could do the whole mixture) through my food mill to remove seeds.  It’s a softer set, but so so so good!  I am waiting on Roma tomatoes to ripen in my area (another week or two I’m told) then I’ll post some pics of tomatoes.  Canning can be addictive.  wink

Posted: 16 September 2009 05:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

In recent years, I’ve come to rely on my freezer more than canning. Used to do tons of it, mostly tomato sauce with the help of an Italian friend, but the occasional batch of pickles, jam, jelly and marmalade, too. You folks are waking up the addiction. Yikes!!!

Beautiful jars, Patricia. What a treat to look forward to all winter—if they last that long! Good to know that you can always make more with fruit from the freezer. So glad you asked that question in the other thread. Now we all know. smile

Posted: 16 September 2009 06:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  767
Joined  2007-11-15

I must admit your title confused me to start with, we in the UK call it preserving or bottling not CANNING!  Same language, different words! LOL! cheese

1 of 2