Scrape-A-Bowl or SideSwipe attachments for KitchenAid mixer
Posted: 04 January 2008 12:11 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-11-16

Does anyone have experience with either of these attachments for the KitchenAid mixer?  They are paddles with silicone “fins” which scrape the bowl as they turn and mix the batter.  They are supposed to eliminate the need for scraping down the sides of the bowl during mixing.  The SideSwipe is available for tilt head mixers, and will soon be available for bowl-lift models.  The Scrape-a-Bowl is made by the same company as the POURfect bowls, but doesn’t seem to be ready to ship from the website just yet. 

Cindy

Posted: 04 January 2008 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Cindy - Rose has mentioned the PourFect bowl scraper attachment on the blog.  I can’t wait for it to be available.  I think there will also be scrapers for several other mixer models too.

Hector - can you give us any additional info?

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 04 January 2008 03:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2007-11-16

I can’t wait for something like this to be available. Scraping the bowl down is a pain in the butt.

MrsM

Posted: 05 January 2008 12:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

I spoke with Randy Kaas, but haven’t put my dough into his scrape-a-bowl yet.  In addition to the main benefit of no-scraping needed, Randy reported that mixing times are reduced by near half the recipe time since more-and-all the contents on the mixing bowl are reached.  In my opinion, this will change the way all existing cookbooks are written… “stop and scrape, continue 1 more time, etc.”

There is another plus.  Since the scrape-a-bowl and the even newer whisk-a-bowl can reach all the contents of the mixing bowl, now you can handle very small jobs, like beating 1 egg for example.  Google for the patent application of the whisk-a-bowl, it even has a prototype picture!

I commend Randy for his extraordinary attention to design.  Starting with the POURfect products, the attention to ergonomics is incredible.  The fact you can lift/pour a bowl or beaker with just the palm of your hand is very ADA compliant in my opinion.  Same for the scrape-less paddle, for not having to hold the scraping spatula, too.

I am curious to read what KitchenAid has to say.  I’ve noticed on the KitchenAid blog, which is highly moderated, there has been recent emphasis on beater-to-bowl clearance.

On the sideswipe website, there is a FAQ regarding a concern of adding strain on the mixer’s motor.  Please read carefully.  Sideswipe is a similar product to Randy’s Scrape-a-Bowl.  Personally I will go for Randy’s brand, he really is committed to our industry.

In the light of these scrape beaters, and since I don’t have one yet, I have changed my mixing method anytime the flat beater or dough hook are called.  It works great, and it is near scrape less, and most important yet:  mess-splash-less.  What I do, is powering the dough hook or flat beater with my hand first, right on the mixer bowl as if I was the mixer, you have total control on speed and direction.  I grab the mixer bowl with one hand (a bowl with a handle is a plus), and with the other hand I grab the dough hook or flat beater.  I ‘hand-mix’ roughly until ingredients are partly incorporated, scraping the bowl with the same attachment.  It works wonderfully.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 05 January 2008 07:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2007-11-16

I have the bowls, beaker and measuring spoons from Pourfect, I can’t say enough about them. The beaker does not drip at all, just as promised. The bowls are soooooo comfortable to hold and pour into my Kitchen Aid mixer.  The spoons, they are fantastic.  They range from 2 tablespoon capacity down to 1/64!!!!  I do a lot of scaling down of recipes, and having these tiny measures is just the best thing ever.

MrsM

Posted: 05 January 2008 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

I visited the website (http://www.pourfectbowl.com), and saw that the current scrape-a-bowl fits the KitchenAid 4.5qt tilt and the 5qt Artisan tilt head mixers, as well as the 5 & 7qt Cuisinarts, Viking, Kenwood, Delonghi, and Hamilton Beach stand mixers.

I submitted a question about the availability of this item for 5 and 6qt lift KAs - to which Randy replied very quickly.  His response was first to mention that the website “was a mess” because the company he hired to design it went out of business before the project was complete.  He said he currently has a new company working on the site.  He also told me there were indeed plans to make a scrape-a-bowl for the 5 and 6qt bowl-lift KAs. 

Btw, I LOVE the POURfect bowls, and eagerly will get the beakers, spoons, and whatever other goodies Randy can think up by the time the 5 and 6qt scrape-a-bowls are available for the bowl-lift style KitchenAids.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 06 January 2008 01:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  143
Joined  2007-11-17

This is such a great idea!  I hope Randy Kaas will sell/ship to Canada.

Signature 

Come visit my blog
http://occasionalbaker.blogspot.com

Posted: 17 February 2008 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2008-02-14

Great idea!!! Hope they ship to Puerto Rico.
Belmari

Posted: 20 February 2008 01:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Update on the bowl scrapers - I visited the kitchenaid website blog today.  They do not recommend the use of any bowl scraper attachements at this time.  Just thought I should mention it to everyone.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at