vanilla buttercream recipe
Posted: 17 September 2009 06:29 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2008-12-05

I"m looking for a good buttercream vanilla frosting recipe. thanks.

steve

Posted: 17 September 2009 07:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

use the white chocolate mousseline in the cake bible…or mousseline with some vanilla extract.

Enjoy!

Posted: 17 September 2009 10:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18
Bill - 17 September 2009 10:48 PM

use the white chocolate mousseline in the cake bible…or mousseline with some vanilla extract.

Enjoy!

Ditto!

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 18 September 2009 12:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

What is the difference between buttercream and mousellini?

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 18 September 2009 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Jenn, mousseline is the name that Rose gave to her buttercream which is—correct me if I’m wrong, folks—basically an Italian meringue buttercream. There are also Swiss and French versions of meringue buttercreams from other sources.

I have a formula from baking school for a light butter cream that my textbook calls Creme Mousseline, but it’s nothing like Rose’s recipe. Uses whole eggs and egg yolks and a different mixing method. Actually, it’s more like her Silk Meringue Buttercream. Never made it, so can’t say if it’s any good. But perhaps Rose used the name “mousseline” to convey just that idea, of how light her mousseline is for a buttercream. The classic French buttercreams made with all yolks gave bc a reputation for being heavy. And the so-called buttercreams made with emulsified shortening and icing sugar ...well, no comment.

Posted: 18 September 2009 01:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Carolita,
Thanks for the explanation, that clears it up for me smile. Agree regarding shortening and icing sugar.. sounds yucky smile. Butter is indeed the best ingredients, in my opinion.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 18 September 2009 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Yes, I didn’t think you were in favour of shortening. smile Only mentioned it in that context because I believe it’s mainly the shortening-based icings which have given bc such a bad name. Some people actually like them, go figure! But most discerning palates pick up that greasy mouth-feel, which comes from the fact that shortening has such a high melting point (higher than body temp which is where butter melts, i.e. in your mouth…yum). They see that the icing is called buttercream and leap to the conclusion that buttercreams are too buttery. sheesh

Just my pet peeve, sorry. The box-stores and huge supermarket chains of this world have a lot to answer for!