No Bleached cake flour in Australia - how to overcome
Posted: 17 September 2009 09:15 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2009-09-17

Hi everyone,
I live in Australia, and have been eagerly awaiting Rose’s new book for ages, and am so excited that it’s out now.

In Australia, we don’t have cake flour, nor can we get bleached flour of any sort (not available to retail customers anyway). We can only get unbleached AP flour or unbleached self-raising flour (which has basically the same protein levels as the AP with added leavening).

In light of the results Rose had when testing recipes in the UK, should Australian cooks buy the UK edition of The Cake Bible, even if Australian cooks can’t get bleached flour of any description?

I read in another thread that cakes made with unbleached flour can become greasy, as unbleached flour will not hold the fat in suspension. I have noticed this with some of my cakes.

I guess my question boils down to, if I bought the new book, is there any way I could expect to get good results with the flours available here?

Posted: 17 September 2009 10:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Welcome Laurel! Do a search for Kate flour on the blog and you’ll find the answer to your question. It’s very useful info. It’s also in Rose’s new book. So go ahead and get the book. Good luck!

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 17 September 2009 11:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-09-17

Hi Rozanne,
Thanks very much for your reply. I went and read the info on Kate flour. Phew! It’s very interesting but unfortunately there’s no way I would have time to incorporate the 10 steps for the cakes I make. I make wedding cakes and it is time consuming enough already. However, I may have located a source of bleached cake flour although I may have to buy it in a very large quantity, but if I can get hold of it, Amazon will definitely be getting some business from me soon. I love Rose’s recipes!

Posted: 18 September 2009 02:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2008-04-28

First of all an apology, I feel terrible as I have been so busy with other things and the arrival of little Audrey (thanks to all who sent their kind wishes BTW) in the last few months that I haven’t posted much to this wonderful blog but I try to get some more posts out soon….. especially to all you who have posted your work and results - you are a continuing inspiration!

Now.. on to Aussie flour:
I posted quickly back in March ( I think) about a bleached flour source I had found in Australia (search under subject ‘eureka’ and you’ll find it.)

After much searching I found a supplier and the good news is as a member of the public you CAN get bleached flour in Australia, a couple of us have been trialling it for some time… the good news - it’s available to the public (well I’m in NSW so I can get it fairly easily here)... the bad news it comes in 25kg bags so you’ll probably need someone to share it with!!

I have had good results with many of Rose’s cakes (pound cake still has a minor suspension spot issue) but I’ll post more on it in the next couple of days!

EDITED TO ADD NAME OF FLOUR (derrrr sorry I forgot the most important part!!):

Manildra Hi Tec Sponge Flour (Manufacturer’s notes: Flour is chlorinated from soft biscuit wheat varieties. Provides white, fine even crumb structure in sponge and layer cakes.)

Posted: 18 September 2009 03:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-09-17

Hi Cate,

Thanks for that info, it is very encouraging to hear that you can get it. My research so far is that Weston Milling’s Hi Tec flour is bleached cake flour, and there is also Allied Mills Hi Ratio Flour.  I didn’t know about the Manildra one, thanks for the heads up!
I will continue to make enquiries about how to obtain some, to do some testing. One workaround might be to convert all the hi-ratio recipes to creaming method, and then i could continue to use the plain unbleached? Do you folks think that would work? While I don’t want an overly dense cake, my perfect cake would slice beautifully (ie not crumbly), be moist, be able to be torted and stacked, so medium density.

Posted: 19 September 2009 05:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-28

Hi Laurel,

Not sure what state you are in but if in NSW, PM me and I’ll give you the name of the supermarket that orders the Manildra flour it in for me.
Cheers
Cate

Posted: 19 September 2009 09:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-09-17

Hi Cate,
That would be terrific! Yes, I am NSW. Have just PM’d you.

Posted: 21 September 2009 12:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-09-17

Well, I went out and got myself not one, but 2 x 25kg bags of Fine-Tex Hi Ratio Cake Flour by Weston Milling.

Weston Milling’s site describes it as:
Premium grade, lower range protein, soft high ratio cake flour. Ideal for sponge rolls, high ratio cakes and lamingtons.

Their representative confirmed it is a bleached flour.
Protein: 9.2g/100g

If anyone in NSW/Australia wants to partake of the bleached flour experimentation, please feel free to PM me and I can post you some.
Now all I have to do is get me a copy of Heavenly Cakes!

Posted: 21 September 2009 12:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-28

Well done! I have PM’d you about the Manildra supplier.

P.S. *deep breath*................

WOO HOOOOOOOOO… guess what just arrived in the mail today…..........hope you get your copy soon
(for any Aussies who haven’t ordered yet, try Dymocks online - I received mine in under a week!)

Posted: 21 September 2009 12:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-28

OH BTW:

The Manildra HiTec Sponge Flour stats are:
Protein (N x 5.7)% 10.0% minimum
Moisture % 7.0 - 9.0%
Minolta (L-b)79.5 minimum
Ash 0.65% maximum
Water Absorption 65.0% minimum
Development Time 10 minutes maximum

Average Nutrition Information (per 100g )
ENERGY 1552kJ
PROTEIN 11.5 g
FAT, TOTAL 1.3g   - saturated 0.2
g CARBOHYDRATE 75.1g
  - sugars 0.1g
DIETARY FIBRE 4.0 g
SODIUM 2 mg

Posted: 17 October 2013 10:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2013-10-17

Hi everyone,

I’m looking into buying some cake flour here in NSW and am looking around to see if I can get it in a smaller quantity than 25kg. Someone in an earlier post suggested Allied Mills High Ratio Cake Mix. I think this may be an actual cake mix and not a flour. The appear to sell them in 10kg bags so I would prefer them but am wondering if anyone has tried using this particular cake mix for a Rose recipe and has it worked? Desperately looking for bleached cake flour and can’t seem to find it in less than 25kg bags, if anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you! smile

Tonia

Posted: 17 October 2013 10:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-09-17

Hi Tonia,

I bought a 25kg bag of Weston Milling Finetex Hi Ratio Cake Flour a couple months ago and can sell you some for $2/kg + shipping. Let me know if you need any. I am really happy with how it bakes up.

Posted: 18 October 2013 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2013-10-17

Hi Laurel,

That’s lovely of you to offer! I looked into purchasing a bag myself yesterday but 25kgs seems like an awful lot for just me! Just out of curiosity, how do you package your flour for storage?

Thanks so much smile

Posted: 18 October 2013 05:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-09-17

I take out a smaller quantity of flour and keep that in a tupperware, then the rest stays in the original bag kept in a big plastic container with a lid, to keep pests.

You can get flour bins from places such as
http://www.carlyleeng.com.au/portfolio-view/ingredient-bins-bin-holders-plastic-trays-nally-bins/
http://www.mrchophospitality.com.au/plastic-crates-and-tubs/ingredients-bins/brute-cont-75-7lt-1

or could also use a new garbage bin (the old fashioned round ones, not the wheely bins) or any large storage container which has a decent lid.