Will vacuum sealer work for freezing breads?
Posted: 05 January 2008 07:48 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-12-22

I am curious of anyone has used a vacuum sealer to store breads. With only two eating it takes a while to go through a reasonable sized batch of bread and I was wondering if vacuum sealing (either in containers or in bags) provides any benefit.

Posted: 06 January 2008 04:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

I am a huge fan an user of vacuum sealers, but for bread I only wrap with two layers of stretch tite plastic film or use heavy duty aluminum foil.  I just think vacuum sealers are best used for longer term storage, as I do finish my bread within weeks or perhaps a month or so the most.

The vacuum sealers may smash your bread, mostly so, it is recommended you freeze the bread unwrapped first, then you vacuum sealed.  You can always freeze the bread first with just plastic film, then vacuum sealed, this way the bread will not be exposed to refrigerator odors during the beginning freeze.  But again, unless you are storing bread for a long time, I find vacuum sealing not necessary.

Not sure, if this is because I always reheat/toast/grill my breads that has been frozen, since almost any bread when toasted tastes fine!

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 06 January 2008 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-12-22

Thanks for the input. I kinda figured vacuum sealing would smash the bread.  I’ll definately freeze them first.  I thought it might be nice to try building up a supply of breads (burger buns, English muffins, etc.) when the hot summer days get get closer and figured vacuum sealing would allow them to keep there taste longer.

Thanks for the input!