need more advice for a wedding cake!
Posted: 23 September 2009 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2008-02-16

you have all been so helpful with all the advice you’ve given me regarding a 5 tier wedding cake and sheet cake coming up in October!
i really appreciate it and now have another question…

the wedding is 3 hours away and i plan to box the cakes and wrap in saran, then stack the tiers at the reception place.  I was invited to the rehearsal dinner the night before and would like to attend, but will the cakes be okay in the hotel room Friday night?  the wedding coordinator at the hotel has already said that the place can’t store the cakes in their fridge, so they will definitely have to stay in the room with us.  (by the way, almond cake with mousseline icing)

Thanks!
chrissy

Posted: 23 September 2009 06:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Mmm, your cake sounds delish - almond cake with mousseline is one of my favorite combos.  Your cake will be fine if kept at a reasonable temperature overnight, just keep in mind the mousseline will be very soft if it’s room temperature when you stack the cakes.  If it were me, I’d either travel with the cake fully stacked, or I’d try to travel with the cake in two partially assembled pieces…. the bottom 2 tiers together, and the top 3 tiers together.  You can place a sharpened dowel down through the center of each partially assembled section, leaving it tall enough to use it as a “handle” so to speak.  Then remove the long dowel on site, and stack the cake sections. 

Maybe Jeanne will chime in with some words of wisdom!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 24 September 2009 06:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  591
Joined  2007-11-27

Is the wedding coordinator a hotel employee or someone else?  I ask because it seems to me that unless the venue is very small, they may very well have refrigeration space but the coordinator didn’t want to ask.  This is just a theory, though; if she did ask, the issue might be liability which opens up a whole other can of worms.  So to speak, because

The hotel would be willing to serve a cake that has travelled 3 hours and then stayed for another 12-15 hours at rm temp?  When this occurs to someone they are either going to say you can’t provide the cake under those circumstances; or that they will let you store it in their fridge. 

Find out if they have room refrigerators; if so, they are probably too small to accommodate your cake but it doesn’t hurt to ask.

I once did a cake for a bride who made the most incredible sugar flowers (she worked for a bakery in CA but was being married in MA); she had me make her cake (it was huge) and cover it with fondant, then she took it to her parents’ house and had several room a/c units cranked to the max.  She picked up the cake on a Thursday evening and the wedding was Saturday.  You might have to turn on the room a/c to it’s lowest level (and hope it doesn’t freeze!!)

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 28 September 2009 09:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2008-02-16

thanks for the suggestions…  i wouldn’t mind traveling with the cakes partially assembled, but i figured the cakes would be safer in the hotel room if they were in cake boxes and then the boxes wrapped in saran wrap.  (i didn’t want the cake out in the open) 

if i do keep the AC cranked (i can bring some extra blankets for us to use that night), i thought the cakes would be okay. 
i figured i’d bake the layers on wed, assemble individual cakes on thursday, put in my fridge overnight and then on friday, we’d drive to the hotel/wedding venue. 

i don’t usually use a syrup for butter cakes, but since i am making the cakes one day earlier than i normally do, would you recommend using a syrup? 

thanks again for all your help.