1 of 2
RHC Refrigerator Banana Cake
Posted: 24 September 2009 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Here is the Banana Refrigerator Cake with Dreamy Creamy White Chocolate Frosting pp133. 

I don’t think my cake rose enough (compared to the picture in the book) even though I used cake flour.  Anyway, the cake is easy to make but surprisingly different from the Banana Cake in TCB.  I haven’t tasted it yet but the bowl scraping from the frosting is yummy!

What next - chocolate I think.

Annie

Image Attachments
RHCBananaRefrig2.jpgRHCBananaRefrig1.jpg

Posted: 24 September 2009 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Annie:  Looks good.  It looks like it rose just fine!  I’m not a fan of banana, in general, but I will probably get around to it eventually.  Let us know how it tastes!

Posted: 24 September 2009 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

The cake looks great Annie. I think it rose well. Looks fine to me.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 24 September 2009 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  767
Joined  2007-11-15

Looks good to me!  Someone’s in for a treat, I wonder who?  I think I might do a chocolate one next as I used my ripe banana to make Rose’s Banana Feather bread earlier today, just cooling down now.  Don’t you think the gingerbread gets better day by day, Annie?  I had the same thought as you, sultanas would be a nice addition for the next one!

Posted: 24 September 2009 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

Excelente Annie!  Often pictures, depending on the angle, make a layer cake look higher!  Yours is fine!  I haven’t made this cake yet, but most often, all cakes containing bananas dome in the center at the end of the baking time because the banana fibers are quite strongh.

Question: did u use Rose’s silicone strips?  I’ve just spoke with Harold Imports Co, the distributors, they are SUPER NICE folks.  I am getting a very book perfect height and evenness on all my cakes.

Bill, you must try the tropical wedding cake, texture is butter cake perfect, and the “gold priced” passion navan mousseline is lux!!!!  It isn’t a refrigerator cake.

Happy bake through everyone!  I would love you try the designer chocolate baby grands and tell me if you got full cupcakes or the ideal less than full, so it can hold all the glaze.  Mines were full and suspect is due to my narrow muffin pan, looked luscious though.  Make plenty lacquer glaze and keep it in the freezer, it has many applications and is always stunning.  Goes well on a sunday or fresh strawberries, too!

Could u all pls go to amazon.com and write a review for the new book?  It is really great to read them and people really appreciate the reviews.  Do it today!  Be the first ones on the amazon.com reviews, will help tremendously the upcoming book launch on the 29th!!!

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 24 September 2009 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Hector, thanks for the tip!  One of the problems I’m having is everyone in my family and circle of friends has a favorite cake that I’ve been making for years…and everyone puts in their request…and when I suggest I try a new recipe, they all start yelling: “NOOOOOOO…make the one we love”.

I’m going to have to stop taking requests and start really baking my way through the new book (I’ve only tried three recipes so far- Peach upside down, yellow cup cakes, and red velvet).

Posted: 24 September 2009 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-03

Thanks Bill, Rozanne, Jeannette & Hector.  I have now tasted the cake and it’s so moist and delicious.  The frosting is very creamy and smooth.  It hasn’t even seen the ‘fridge yet.  The jury is still out as to whether I prefer this topping or the ganache. 

Hector, I don’t have Rose’s baking strips as they are not available here, but I did use the Wilton cake strip soaked in water.

Image Attachments
RHCBananaRefrig3.jpg

Posted: 24 September 2009 06:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Annie, what a lovely looking cake!  Your third picture makes it look quite tall and fluffy!  Glad to hear your tasting notes.

Bill, “only” three?  I’ve only done two so far…

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 24 September 2009 07:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

yum it looks great!!!

Posted: 24 September 2009 08:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

Oh, dear, thx for the picture of the sliced cake, looks a lot taller!!!!!

I would mail you the strips on a heart beat!  Luca just ordered his from Amazon.com You could order yours and have it shipped to my address (free shipping by the time you order the 3 or 6 each as recommended) and I will mail them to you in a heartbeat, shouldn’t cost that much to Canada, lightweight.

Regarding baking for others, I totally understand.  Our friends get very very picky!!!!!!  just spoiled.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 25 September 2009 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

It looks delicious Annie - really tasty!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 25 September 2009 07:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-03

Update on the cake after being a day in the refrigerator.  It has improved overnight.  The crumb is very soft and moist and the frosting is a lovely contrast - it’s very creamy and is actually better when cold (unlike mousseline).  Oh dear, my poor waistline with all these marvellous cakes!

Thanks for the offer Hector but I’m in Scotland - not Canada!  I have a bunch of the Wilton cake strips but may take you up on the offer when they wear out.

Posted: 08 October 2009 11:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

I made the Banana Refrigerator Cake last night too. I think the bananas are not ripe enough (it’s partially yellow, partially black). It taste really good though. And easy to make smile.

Image Attachments
Banana Ref. Cake1.jpgBana Ref. Cake2.jpgBanana Ref. Cake Slice.jpg
 Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 08 October 2009 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Lovely job, Jenn! Must say the same to Annie, since I somehow neglected to post earlier in this thread.

I’m very glad to be reminded of this cake. But my goodness, so many riches in the new book. I have the feeling of being in a revolving door and wanting to go in and out at the same time! LOL

But I comfort myself with the thought that I got—and continue to get years of “blissful baking” from TCB. So it will be the same with RHC. No hurry, no worry.

Note to self: Don’t forget the Refrigerator Banana Cake!!!

Posted: 08 October 2009 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Thanks, Carol! I feel like a baking addict since RHC. There’s not a day gone by where I don’t open RHC. You’re right though about being “no hurry no hurry.” Though this has motivate me to go to the gym, go figure smile.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 08 October 2009 11:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Looks great Jenn. I have two over-ripe bananas sitting in the fridge. Hmmmm I wonder what I should do with them??????

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

1 of 2