2 of 2
Chocolate Cake Suggestions
Posted: 29 September 2009 08:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18
jessjose - 29 September 2009 09:23 PM

And, the person in charge of birthday parties at the office asked me if I can be the official provider of birthday cakes.  She asked me how much I charge.  I haven’t even thought about that yet.  Something for me to think about.

Congratulations Jess! I’m sure you’ll do a great job.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 08 October 2009 10:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2008-04-29

Jess, I am chiming is very late to congratulate you on that beautiful cake! The praline crunch is the one frosting I haven’t been able to try that I REALLY want to try, precisely because of the ingredient sourcing problem. I need to be more like Carlolita and find it! smile

Signature 

http://scratch.typepad.com/
http://www.milkglassbaking.com

Posted: 09 October 2009 03:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  164
Joined  2009-04-24

Hi, Rachel.  Thanks!  For the praline crunch, I just used pecan pralines from Trader Joe’s.  But like everyone said in this thread, Rose has a recipe in the TCB (p. 315).  So if you want, you can make your own for the crunch buttercream version.  If you don’t want the crunch, then you will need the praline paste.  That’s harder to find, I have been having a hard time sourcing that myself.  I have to ask some of the chefs in school to see if they can point me to the right direction.

Posted: 09 October 2009 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Hey Jessjose - sorry I missed this post… the cake looks and sounds divine!!  Love the Trader Joe’s praline tip!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 09 October 2009 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-24
Patrincia - 09 October 2009 03:41 PM

Hey Jessjose - sorry I missed this post… the cake looks and sounds divine!!  Love the Trader Joe’s praline tip!

Thanks, Patricia!  My co-workers certainly enjoyed it and still talk about it.  Tomorrow, I am making a different twist.  I think I’ll make the same cake but use a caramel pastry cream filling and Bill’s buttercream for frosting.  I’m taking this to a party on Sunday.

Love Trader Joe’s Pecan Pralines.  You should try it. 

Jess

Posted: 09 October 2009 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Hi Jess, so glad that Rachel and Patricia posted to this thread and brought it back up again, because I didn’t get email notification of additions after our last exchange. Missed your report until now on the outcome, and also the fact that you’re a guy. Sorry about that! smile

Wonderful that the first cake was so well-received. I totally understand your office person asking you to be the official provider of birthday cakes. It was gorgeous! Ask the chefs at school for advice on what to charge. My instructor said 4x the ingredient cost for retail sales. That sounds like a lot until you really look at how many hours you spend including the planning, ingredient shopping, etc.

Have fun with this next one for Sunday!

Posted: 10 October 2009 09:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-24

Here is the one I made for the party tomorrow.  Chocolate fudge cake filled with coffee praline buttercream (used leftovers from previous cake) covered with Bill’s buttercream.

Question for you guys.  I saw Patricia’s post with the swirl on top I thought it was so pretty.  So I tried to do the same thing but I got pock marks.  Patricia, how do you get it so smooth?  I think maybe my buttercream was pretty stiff.  And I think it may be because I redid the swirls several times.  I remember the first one being smoother but my swirl was crooked so I redid it.

Image Attachments
img_1329 sm.jpg

Posted: 10 October 2009 10:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Looks yummy jessjose, and I know it will taste fabulous!  I think the praline bits might have added to the finished appearance of your bc.  The cake you’re mentioned (below) was covered with Rose’s new peanut butter cream, but I’ve done the same design with mousseline and neoclassice bc too.  I smoothed the bc flat on top of the cake, like I normally would, then I added the swirl design by turning my heavy duty turntable as I pulled an offset spatula from the center out.  Btw, I love your addition of the piped borders.

Image Attachments
P1050442 (Medium).jpg
 Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 11 October 2009 12:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2009-09-17

Today I tried the Devil’s Food Cake from HC as cupcakes. They turned out beautifully and the crumb is very lovely, moist and soft.  5/5 from me.
Here’s the pictures. The cupcakes were slightly domed when they left the oven, and flattened upon cooling.
I look forward to trying all the other choc cake recipes from HC too. If you’ve made them, share your pics!

Image Attachments
IMG_2848.jpgIMG_2846.jpg

Posted: 11 October 2009 12:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi Laurel - I made the baby grand cupcakes.  They domed much more than I thought they would… great for regular cupcakes, but not what I expected after seeing the baby grands covered in lacquer glaze pictured on page 304.  They were delicious btw.  I made them for a child’s birthday party, so that’s the reason for the excess amount of buttercream (Rose’s chocolate egg white buttercream from the new book).

Image Attachments
P1070700 (Medium).jpgP1070731a (Medium).jpg
 Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 11 October 2009 02:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2009-09-17

Patrincia, they look spectacular! Beautiful domes, not like the volcanic peaks that I sometimes get.  The buttercream looks so smooth and light. Must try that sometime, I constantly have a stock of egg whites in the freezer that I don’t know what to do with. Thanks for sharing!

Posted: 12 October 2009 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-24

Thanks for the tip, Patricia.  Instead of using the offset, I used a spoon and started from the outside going to the center.  I’ll try your trick next time.  The cake tasted great.  This is the second time I made this but I didn’t get to try it the first time.  It had very fine crumbs and melts in your mouth.  The guests loved the cake.  One little girl (she’s like 5) told her Mom the cake was “outstanding”.  So cute.

By the way, cake strips do make a huge difference.  The first time I made this cake, I forgot to put the strips and the cake domed and spilled a bit.  I had to cutoff the top when I finished it.  This time, I used the strips and the cake came out flat on top and I didn’t have the trim it.

Jess

Posted: 03 November 2009 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-11-03

Hi all.  I have a question regarding chocolate cupcakes.  It?s becoming a challenge to me because almost everytime I make them, the dough seems perfect in consistency, color and flavor, but two things ussually happen: 

1. Or they sink in the middle when taken out of the oven and flatten out, or
2. They overflow from the cup while rising inside the oven. 

I have had these two reactions when changing recipes from one with less flour and rising ingredients to one with a little more…  AND these things only happen with chocolate cupcakes, the vanilla ones always come out perfect!

Does anyone have a clue to what?s going on?  confused

Posted: 03 November 2009 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Have you used Rose’s chocolate cake batter, Melissa? If so, have a look at p 164 TCB. There, she indicates you can expect to get 9 cupcakes from half the recipe - that gives the guidance you need to fill the liners to the appropriate level. She also makes recommendations on how to adjust the baking powder, which is another potential source of the problems you describe.

If it’s another recipe, hard to say what’s causing the problems. Chocolate is “a very singular ingredient,” in Rose’s words. Start with a good recipe and if you still have difficulty, then you’ll know the problem is elsewhere. Your oven, the type of chocolate, etc.

Posted: 03 November 2009 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  595
Joined  2007-11-18

MELLISA:
  Good morning & welcome to our baking circle. Mellisa, I think I can help you somewhat but we here require more info from you . Are you using Miss Roses recipes???, if so which ones???  If not then post the recipes & it’s directions & state equipment used.

Mellisa, If you are using Miss Roses recipes many do fail when making muffins out of the batter but make a xlnt cake.
Till we hear from you enjoy the rest of the day young lady.

~FRESHKID.

2 of 2