1 of 2
Lemon Peel Roses
Posted: 28 September 2009 01:50 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

I had some fun today! There was one additional 6” test cake left in my freezer from the Lemon Luxury wedding cake I did in August. I held it back to take to a friend’s party. She had a fairly major reno done recently, and all her pals clamored to see the results after following its progress on her blog. So she scheduled a “kitchen-warming.”

I so looked forward to frosting and decorating this little baby. Planned to do some more white chocolate decorations. But then, RHC arrived and I saw the lemon peel roses on the Golden Dream wedding cake. Gorgeous!! I didn’t have any whole lemons in the house, but a ton of juiced half-lemons in the freezer left over from the wedding. So I thought “what the heck” and went for it. See what you think.

What a treat to work with Rose’s mousseline without the extra rich butter that plagued the original project. Such a pleasure applying to the cake. Piped like a dream. And the roses were a lot of fun to make. I soaked the peel overnight, dried it well with paper towels this morning and left the strips to dry for a few hours. Next, curled them up loosely, left them for an hour and applied the corn syrup in stages as Rose describes p 432.

I placed the best one on top of my cake, and left the others to dry for future use. If I understand correctly, I’m to leave them out at room temp until they have curved in just a little. Then I can store them for later use. Rose writes that they last for months, but she doesn’t say how (other than “covered container”). I’m assuming in the freezer—not the fridge. Correct? Good just for one week refrigerated is how I read her instructions on p 433.

The happy gentleman tucking into his cake is my friend’s father. “You’ll need an action shot,” he said. “I volunteer!!”  LOL

Image Attachments
IMG_0561.jpgIMG_0560.jpgIMG_0516.jpgIMG_0556.jpg

Posted: 28 September 2009 02:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-09

A couple more pictures. I was at my dining room window for the longest time, trying to get a good shot of the cake in natural light. Suddenly noticed that I had somebody’s rapt attention—this little guy on the fence. smile

Before and after shots, in other words. Anyway, I commend the citrus peel roses to you for decorating cakes with those flavours. If it were a wedding cake, I’d want to use leaves, too, as Rose did for her Golden Dream cake. Such a nice touch!

Image Attachments
IMG_0534.jpgIMG_0536.jpgIMG_0563.jpg

Posted: 28 September 2009 06:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2008-04-28

Ohhhhhhh Carolita that looks just delish!
The lemon peel rose from the new book is just so subtle and lovely on top too.

P.S. What a cute audience to have - wish our wild creatures were as patient and cute as your squirrel looks- at the moment here we are in full magpie swooping season - my husband lost half his passionfruit slice to a superb ‘swan dive’ from one during a recent park picnic!!!

Posted: 28 September 2009 08:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Carolita, you can bring one of those over to my house anytime!  Love the smiling volunteer.

Great cake, and the rose is very beautiful.  Are they meant to be eaten?  Has anyone tried one?  Do they taste like candied lemon peel?

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 28 September 2009 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Carol, the lemon roses are beautiful. I love the height of the cake.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 28 September 2009 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Carolita - the lemon peel and the cake looks so pretty! Is the Rose mousselini from TCB or RHC?

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 28 September 2009 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2008-08-13

Carolita the lemon rose is so pretty! And I just love the ‘after’ photo, very apt. The whole cake looks beautiful.

Posted: 28 September 2009 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-09

Thank you so much, everyone! Glad you like the results as much as I do. My friend insisted that I bring business cards, which she placed on the table. And she gave my cake pride of place on the glass pedestal cake stand. Such a generous soul! She made everything else, all delicious, including: poppyseed cake, chocolate cake, apple pie, cookies and blueberry crumble. She also put out fruit and nuts. A lovely spread!

Thanks, Shimi! Yes, it’s always a good feeling when your cake gets gobbled up! At first, people were too shy to cut into it. “It’s too beautiful,” they said. My friend suggested that I do the honours. I cut it into 16 pieces. Wedding cake size, in other words, because of all the other desserts on the table.

Cate, our crows sometimes behave that way! It’s scary, isn’t it? I’ve never carried a cake to the car uncovered since one incident a few years ago when I was dive-bombed. Fortunately the bird careened off my head instead of landing in the cake! I got inside the car and just shook from the shock. big surprise

Julie, the peel is quite delicious! I had to stop myself from eating bits that were small but useful to form cones for the centre. Candied or glac? peel is exactly what it is, though I think it would have been more recognizable as such if I’d had time to dry the roses properly. I only got the idea of doing them the night before!  smile

I notice in a handout from baking school that some candied fruit is also plunged in boiling water briefly at the end of the drying period, rolled in granulated sugar, redried and then stored in an airtight container. Marmalade is one instance of eating lemon peel that we all know. But another is East Indian style lemon pickles. Do you know them? They are sooooooo mouth-puckering and delicious! Maybe an acquired taste? Sorry for raving on, but I know how keen you are on anything lemon. Me, too!!

I love the height, too, Rozanne. A little extra somehow always seems more festive, doesn’t it? It resulted in this case from the bride’s request for ginger to be worked in somewhere. My solution, you’ll recall, was the ginger roulade base topped with lemon cloud cream.

Jenn, the mousseline is from TCB. Thanks so much for asking! Your question prompted me to look more closely at the differences between the original mousseline and the ones in RHC, and they’re significant! More than a simple change in method. Fascinating and yet another instance of Rose’s genius. Will post separately on this and look forward to others’ input.

Posted: 28 September 2009 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

Thank you for sharing, Carolita. I am inspired now to try my hand at lemon peel roses. I like the height of the cake, and how smooth the frosting came out. Lemon cake is truly one of the most refreshing cake flavors, in my opinion.

Posted: 28 September 2009 06:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

You’re welcome, Carolita.  Oops, I just realized I called your lemon rose “lemon peel.” Sorry! I meant lemon rose, lemon rose red face . I want to try to make the mousselini. Oh gosh, there’s at least 10 recipes I want to make from RHC right away - that’s not including the decorations! Maybe I should quit my full time job and go to baking school?  tongue wink

Signature 

Posted: 28 September 2009 07:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-09

Not to worry, Jenn. I knew what you meant! smile

Posted: 29 September 2009 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Carolita - from which page of the TCB is the lemon luxury wedding cake? I looked for it last night but couldn’t find it. I want to make lemon cake next, has anyone tried Woody’s Lemon Cake from RHC?

Signature 

Posted: 29 September 2009 11:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-09

Jenn, you won’t find the lemon luxury cake in TCB as such because it was my invention. But all the component parts are there. I did a “lemonized” version of Rose?s Golden Luxury cake with a ginger roulade base at the bottom of each tier. The fillings were lemon cloud cream and lemon curd. The bc was lemon mousseline. No syrup in the ginger roulade. Syrup for the cake included 1 part Amaretto to 5 parts Limoncello.

The cake was similar to Woody’s, which I didn’t even know about at the time because RHC hadn’t come out yet. We picked the same cake, added lemon flavour and gave it the same name! But he took it a different direction with the frosting, etc.

Here’s the whole story of my cake (if you can bear it!), from “how the heck do I get ginger into the picture” to a few omg’s along the way to the final show and tell:
http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/1179/
http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/1260/
http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/1298/

Actually, my post above about working with candied lemon peel was the final chapter. I used the last of the 6” wedding test cakes to produce the cake for my friend’s party, only topped it with the lemon peel rose.

Posted: 30 September 2009 05:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2008-02-28

Carolita, the rose on that platter looks gorgeous! 

I too have been looking at the new mousseline recipe in RHC and have been meaning to compare it to the one in TCB but haven’t gotten round to it yet.  I’m dying to see your analysis!!

Posted: 30 September 2009 07:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Boy, I turn my computer off for a couple of hours and wham… I miss a great thread like this!!!

Fantastic lemon roses Carolita!!!  They are so lovely, and I’m so happy to hear you used frozen, juiced lemon shells.  I have a bunch in my freezer too… will have to try my hand at these!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 30 September 2009 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-09

Thank you so much, Patrincia and LittleIsland! And just have to comment, Patrincia…. Notice that you’ve passed the 2000 mark on # posts to the forum. Wow!!! You are the queen of helpful bakers. Want to acknowledge your huge contribution to our community.

1 of 2

‹‹ WHITE GOLD PASSION GENOISE      Karmel cake ››