2 of 4
October Bake-Off Topic
Posted: 02 October 2009 03:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

I agree, it would be better to make something citrussy when they are in season. I’ve already switched to camp 1 if this is an election grin
It would be great if we could get agreement today, I’ll have guests on Sunday and wanted to start tonight as I’ll be out all day tomorrow. But if we don’t get agreement that’s fine, too, in that case I’ll just have to make another cake in two weeks when we get visitors…. Sigh… (No, I’m kidding, really)

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 02 October 2009 04:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

I have no strong preferences. My earlier “sort-of-vote” for orange was partly because Hector’s suggestion of picking a theme related to the first letter of the month tickled my fancy. Mostly though, I liked the idea of leaving it open for those who wanted to devise something for Halloween, but still have it work for those who prefer to bake from the new book. Agree that the choice in citrus products will be much wider once they’re in full season. Right now in Victoria, we’re only starting to get the clementines and mandarins. If we go with cakes, people can still decorate in keeping with the Halloween theme. There’s also that incredible Pumpkin Cake in RHC.

It’s probably best not to bake our way through RHC chapter by chapter or cake by cake though. Don’t know for sure but judging by her post and video the other day on the blog, Rose seems to have selected Marie’s website as the place for that approach: http://www.HeavenlyCakePlace.blogspot.com That said, I’m sure there’s no problem with picking a particular cake or type of cake to work on this month.

Posted: 02 October 2009 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-25

O   O   O
I think Julie already started on her project, at least that’s what I read on the other thread. I’m sure some other people made plans as well. So here is my compromise: We’ll stick with the O, but we’ll include o-shaped ring cakes, or fluted tube cakes, from the Heavenly Cakes or the Cake Bible.

So it’ll be Orange color, Orange flavor, O-shaped. That way we include everybody, the Halloweeners, the Oranges, and the ones that want to bake from the new book.

How is that? A special price goes to whoever makes an orange colored orange flavored o-shaped cake….

Signature 

Posted: 02 October 2009 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-25

And just so that we have a topic for November - how about a Thanksgiving dessert? I saw a pumpkin cheesecake and a cranberry crown cheesecake in the Heavenly Cakes, and I think there are some others that would make great Thanksgiving desserts?!?

Signature 

Posted: 02 October 2009 06:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18
Julie - 02 October 2009 05:53 PM

Hmmm, do we have a topic?  I’ll admit, I was hoping to do something orange/citrus in the winter, when seville oranges (and meyer lemons) are in season (most of the orange things I would like to do incorporate orange curd).  But I could happily do the RHC pumpkin cake, or a chocolate/Grand Marnier genoise, so no worries if that option is chosen.

I think the votes above can be recapped as follows (if I didn’t attribute someone correctly, please let me know!)

option 1: A theme that corresponds to a chapter from RHC, but allow people to make same type of cake from any of Rose’s books. 
Annie, Julie, Jenn

option 2: Halloween
Rozanne

option 3: Orange, either flavor or color.
Hector, Carol, Silke

Rozanne, Jeanette and Patrincia, would any of you like to help us out and break the tie between 1 and 3?  Or anyone else?

I’ll go along with the “O” theme. Maybe, I’ll do something with pumpkin (it’s orange in colour). Afterall, it’s Thanksgiving month here in Canada.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 02 October 2009 10:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

Ok, so we had 3 for option #1 and 3 for option #3, then Jeanette went with #1 and Rozanne went with #3, so now we’re tied again!

Silke, I have not at all started the October Bake-Off yet, though I have referred to delays in my chocolate project for September (which I’ll still do once my chocolate modeling paste is dry- probably three more days or so, it’s been raining here). 

Perhaps we could choose both options?  That is, do “O” for October and perhaps the “Mostly Flourless” cakes for November? 

Let’s see, for the “O” theme, that would include anything made with pumpkin or orange, or anything colored orange, or any O-shaped cake (bundt/ring/angel/chiffon). 

And the only reason I suggested “Mostly Flourless” for November is that we could say it included pies as well as cheesecakes and flourless tortes (from RHC or any of Rose’s books).  In short, much that’s traditional for Thanksgiving without actually naming Thanksgiving as our theme, as not everyone celebrates that. 

What do you guys think???

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 02 October 2009 10:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Sounds perfect! And Julie, you are hereby nominated as my choice for the next director-general of the United Nations LOL

This is going to be a very interesting bake-off month. See you in the kitchen!

Posted: 02 October 2009 10:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18
Julie - 03 October 2009 01:11 AM

Ok, so we had 3 for option #1 and 3 for option #2, then Jeanette went with #1 and Rozanne went with #2, so now we’re tied again!

Julie, I voted for option #3 and not #2. I am so confused now.  LOL

Signature 

Posted: 02 October 2009 11:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

Ok, let me get this straight. So far, we have 2 options (the Halloween one is out).

Option 1: RHC
Julie, Jenn, Jeannette, Annie

Option 2: “O”
Hector, Carol, Silke, Rozanne

Either way, it’s a tie. I give up…........sigh!!!

Signature 

Posted: 02 October 2009 11:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-25

I believe Julie is in the “O” camp. And mostly flourless / RHC in November. Do we have a theme? I’ll get my oven going…..

Signature 

Posted: 02 October 2009 11:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Oh, Rozanne, so sorry, my mistake.  I meant option 3 when I said option 2, I’ve edited my post.  That’s what I get for trying to answer in haste- I was hurrying so I could read to my daughter for bedtime.  And yes, I think you have all the votes attributed correctly, still a tie! 

This has all gotten to be a very involved discussion, which is partly why I suggested both topics, one for Oct and one for Nov, so we could avoid having to find a consensus on another topic for next month!

What do you all think, is it a go?

Signature 

Posted: 03 October 2009 05:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  764
Joined  2007-11-15

As i have a bundt tin which I have only used once and I would like to use it again, I think I will go along with the O theme, that will MAKE me use it! tongue wink

Posted: 03 October 2009 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

Julie, no need to apologise. The only reason I pointed it out was to get an exact number.

So, if Jeannette votes for the O theme, here’s where we are at now:

Option 1: RHC
Julie, Jenn, Annie

Option 2: ?O?
Hector, Carol, Silke, Rozanne, Jeannette

Signature 

Posted: 03 October 2009 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Looks like the Os have it!

Signature 

Posted: 03 October 2009 05:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Help, I’ve been off the forum for 24 hours and World War III has broken out!  Only kidding.  I’m VERY happy to do the O theme or RHC or the ‘O’ theme from RHC.  In fact I’ll do anything as long as it’s baked and from Roses’s books and I can get the ingredients.

2 of 4