Caramel Apples/Caramel Dip
Posted: 28 September 2009 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2008-08-19

Does anyone have a good recipe for homemade Caramel Apples, or for a Caramel dip for apples?  I’m looking for something from scratch, that doesn’t use pre-wrapped caramels.  I’m not a caramel snob or anything, I just don’t have any in the house.  I do however, always have sugar, butter, cream, etc. Thanks in advance!

Posted: 28 September 2009 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Gia, do you have Rose’s Christmas Cookies?  There is a superb recipe in there for Myrtles (really turtles!) and the caramel is just divine.  You might have to make it a bit softer for apples, though. 

Annie

Posted: 28 September 2009 04:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2008-08-19

Hi Annie,
No I don’t have the cookies book.  I am a terrible cookie baker so maybe I should get it!  I might try the caramel from the mud turtles recipe in RHC - any thoughts on that?
Thanks
Gia

Posted: 28 September 2009 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Hi Gia,  I looked up pp380 of RHC.  They have the same list of ingredients but very different proportions.  Of course, the caramel in the myrtles is supposed to set, whereas the other one is somewhat runny and gooey. As you already have RHC, I would say to go for it but you’ll have to make 3 or 4 times the recipe to be able to dip apples. 

Now I want to make the cupcakes but also want to make the baby grands - decisons, decisions!

Annie
PS If I were you I’d put the Cookie book on my Christmas list.  The Chocolate Caramel Chews are to die for - as you’ve probably surmised I’m a caramelaholic!

Posted: 28 September 2009 07:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Annie, the Daring Bakers *did* caramel at the end of November last year. As one caramelaholic to another, thought you’d like to know! You’ll find a whole bunch of posts on how different people interpreted the theme by googling “daring bakers caramel cake”. The challenge centred around a particular cake recipe, but believe it included cake, a caramel buttercream, spun sugar and caramels. Sugar anyone? grin

If you or anybody else is interested in making caramels from scratch that, according to the first Daring Baker I’ll quote, are better than Mackintosh toffee, click the link. The recipe, from Pure Dessert: True Flavors, Inspiring Ingredients, and Simple Recipes by Alice Medrich, is reprinted about halfway down the page:
http://www.whiskblog.com/2008/11/daring-bakerscaramel-cake-with.html

Here’s another take on the recipe from one of my favourite Daring Baker bloggers, all done up in a cute Xmas tin for gift-giving:
http://www.mytartelette.com/2008/11/daring-bakers-caramel-cake-and-soft.html

Gia, if you made the caramels, you could then use them to make your caramel apples. The Joy of Cooking has a simple one that involves melting 1 lb of caramels with 2 T water, then twirling 5 medium-sized apples in the sauce.

Posted: 28 September 2009 08:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

I have made the honey caramel recipe from the “Pure Dessert” book. Wonderful! Although they turned out a little soft, and I will cook them a little longer next time (the recommended final temperature on that recipe is different - lower - than the other one.)

It’s a most interesting cookbook. I keep checking it out of the library—then when I reach the limit, I give it back for a little while and check it out again! If I hadn’t just bought Rose’s book I’d buy that one. Maybe later…

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 28 September 2009 11:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Caramel must be “in the air” today. I went out for dinner to a Vietnamese restaurant, and one of the specials was caramel sauced scallops with red peppers, onions, snow peas and broccoli. So delicious! Not sweet at all. Well, a little—but not so as you would notice any more than you notice sauteed onions are sweet.

The chef came out and talked with me. Told me that caramel entrees are the national dish in Vietnam. I have led a sheltered life!  surprised

‹‹ Caspar - Where are you?      Baking Powder ››