Anyone have the Viking 7qt mixer?  Do you recommend it?
Posted: 06 January 2008 11:11 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-01-06

I need had a 6qt kitchen aid was a good mixxer but wasn’t large or powerful enough for 5lb of flour - to make challah.  So I was thinking of the Viking 7qt - Wanted to know if anyone has it and if they are happy with it.

thanks,

Posted: 07 January 2008 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2570
Joined  2007-11-15

I don’t have the viking, but I’ve read that the attachments go down into the bowl very far, below the top rim of the mixing bowl, so the bowl space available isn’t quite as spacious as you might think.

Signature 

Come visit me at

My blog:  http://butteryum.org

Twitter:  https://twitter.com/ButterYum

Pinterest:  http://www.pinterest.com/butteryum/

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/ButterYum.ATastyLittleFoodBlog

Posted: 07 January 2008 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

Nancy, from what I’ve read, the Cuisinart 7 qt is a superior machine. 

Personally, I have 2 KitchenAid mixers: a 6 qt and a 5 qt.  That is more total quarts, watts, and bowls, than only 1 larger mixer.  I find KitchenAid mixers the easiest to repair and service.

Have you tried placing a bid for Rose’s 7 qt Kenwood?  THAT is comparable to the cuisinart, if not better!

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 12 January 2008 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2008-01-12

I’ve been baking for many years and own 3 stand mixers.  While I don’t have the Viking, I have a 7 quart DeLonghi (formerly Kenwood, and English company), a 6 qt Kitchen Aid and a 30 year old 5 qt KA.  I’ve had trouble with both new mixers.  The KA motor went while mixing a double recipe of choc chip cookies - something it should do easily.  the wisks on both mixers popped making marshmallows.  The 30 year old KA (made by Hobart) is perfection.  While I have a 6 burner Viking range that I love - the mixers are made where ever everyone elses are and I think you’ll be spending a lot of $ on the brand.  Hobart is out there and makes smaller mixers but they are very expensive - the 5 qt is around $2000.  So back to your question - I bake challah and the 6 qt KA will be fine!! (You can always add the rest of the flour by hand after all the other ingredients are mixed in -)

Posted: 12 January 2008 08:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  599
Joined  2007-11-27

I have the Viking 7 qt.  It’s gathering dust - I stopped using it about a year ago.  I used it primarily for making buttercream, and found that it didn’t do such a great job mixing things at the bottom of the bowl.  I bought two bowls/whips/beaters and one of the whips broke while it was whipping egg whites but was replaced immediately by the company and I haven’t had any other problems with it.

I think there are better mixers out there; I regret spending the $500 on it.  I have two 6 qt KAs that I beat the daylights out of and they haven’t skipped a beat.  I bought the Viking because I wanted one with a little more capacity; but ended up buying a 10 qt Thunderbird because the price was right and I hated the Viking.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 02 May 2008 02:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2008-01-09

I know this is an older topic, but just wanted to let all know that my teacher in my baking classes bought 7 vikings for class use.  By the time the semester ended, they all were busted.  the attatchments don’t “lock” like the kitchen aid ones, so they continuously would come off.  This semester, they were all replaced with the handy kitchen aids!

Posted: 08 June 2008 12:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-06-08

i dont have a problem with the seven quart viking. i have found that if you make sure you hear the subtle click when putting on the attachment and turning it all the way into position it stays in. also the attachments can be adjusted with a wrench to fit as far down as you want.  I think it is all preference. to really scrape the bottom of the bowl on any mixer well you have to take off the attachment nine times out of ten. and for that reasin i like the viking because with a quick smack with my spatuala in the one direction. my attachment falls right off and i can pick it up from the part that sticks into the mixer. (a huge plus if mixing a double or triple recipe of something that fills the whole bowl, by grabbing the stem it keeps your hand clean while you hold the messy paddle.) This saves me all the time from getting batter on my hands. IF you ever went to take off an attatchment and got batter on your hands and didn’t like it, then this mixer is for you.       

As far a wear and tear. i found that they hold up fine. the only thing that goes wrong with the ones i use is the one spring inside sometimes breaks and its a very easy process to fix. I have had many kitchen aids go down after production mixing of stiffer doughs but the viking professional series alway powered through it. hope this helps