Upside down apple cake (from Rose’s new book) - pan preparation
Posted: 03 October 2009 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2009-10-01

I’ll be making this for company on Monday. I’ve been reviewing the recipe several times/day so as to not have any surprises. I was wondering now about the preparation of the pan. The direction says to use shortening on the bottom of the pan, followed by a piece of parchment. The directions do not specify greasing the sides of the pan, yet the apples are also to be placed around the sides.

Does it present any problem with the apples sticking to the side of the pan?

Thanks, Beth

Posted: 04 October 2009 07:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  607
Joined  2007-11-18

KNIT 1 BAKE 1:
  Good evening to you beth. Yes!!!  for butter cakes you should prepare the baking tin with your favorite cake release stuff on the sides as well as the bottom & also on the top surface of the paper.
  Good day beth.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 05 October 2009 08:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2008-08-19

I made this a few weeks ago.  I followed the directions and had no issues with the apples sticking.  I didn’t use a pizza stone and the caramel color was much lighter than that in the book, as Rose mentions.  Also, after I arranged the apples and was placing the batter on top, it seemed as if I had way too much batter.  I kept thinking…this is never going to fit, and it’s all going to dribble over in my oven.  Well, it did, and the cake was delicious.  Good luck!

Posted: 06 October 2009 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2009-10-01

I made half recipe yesterday. Actually, I didn’t seem to have enough batter. It was fairly flat in a 7” pan with the half recipe. I had just baked a loaf of hearth bread, so my pizza stone was thoroughly warm. Yet I, too, didn’t get the caramel color. I only baked for 35 minutes, as the cake tested done. Also, next time I would slice the apples thinner - my husband sliced them, and there weren’t enough at his thickness to go around in a nice pattern. Also, I didn’t have any pool of caramel sauce. I only had the apple slices sit for about 40 minutes, and they didn’t exude much liquid. All that being said (and not going into the various funny episodes that occurred while making the batter) it was delicious.  After everything, our guests didn’t show up but I made the cake anyway.