1 of 7
October Bake-Off
Posted: 05 October 2009 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

Though I was an advocate of the “lets do citrus in citrus season”, I ended up doing an orange flavored cake - LOL!

I was intrigued by the Genoise Rose, the dough was very similar to what I had under my cheesecakes in the wedding cake, and it was so good. Making an entire cake of it sounded delicious!

Mine should be called Genoise Orange, first off I don’t have the rose bundt pan, and then it was obviously orange flavored. (Though rose water might be a great flavoring, too!) In the Genoise, I replaced 1/5th of the sugar by homemade vanilla sugar, and then used orange blossom water instead of the vanilla extract. For the syrup, I used a little less water to have room for more flavorings, and ended up using orange blossom water, tequila, a limoncello starter (no syrup added yet, just lemon zest steeped in vodka since 6 weeks), and after being afraid that everything is ending up too sweet I added 1 lemon’s worth of juice.  I made it Friday night and we ate it Sunday night - one more day than Rose recommends, but it worked great. I served it with Almost True Orange Whipped Cream. Why almost? I didn’t strain the marmelade, but left the bits of zest in as I didn’t have any fresh orange to zest.

The end result was great - a very moist, delicate cake, better than I expected! And the orange flavors all went well together. Really nice. Will make again. The photos aren’t very spectacular but the cake was!

PS: I also included a pic of our other weekend outing - we crushed our own wine! We joined a little winery this year and are going to get our own 1/12th barrel of wine! It’s not so different from baking bread I concluded, it’s all about yeast and fermenting.

Image Attachments
IMG_0818.jpgIMG_0820.jpgwine.jpg
 Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 05 October 2009 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  902
Joined  2009-01-04

That looks great!! Wait, so did you get in the barrel and stomp on the grapes?

Posted: 05 October 2009 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-25

Hey SweetNessSki….. Have you switched identities? No stomping involved, here we’re adding the yeast I think. The only hard part was picking the little bitsy leftovers of stems off the grapes - we all lined up on a tray that was shaking to move the grapes along and separate them from the stems. After 30 minutes of that my eyeballs were about to fall off!

Signature 

Posted: 05 October 2009 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Beautiful cake, Silke! Your description of all the flavours had me salivating!!! Very creative take on Rose’s recipe.  I’ll have to study the original to compare better with the modifications you made. A wonderful start for our bake-off thread!

Want to acknowledge Hector’s contribution, too, over on the thread where we were settling on a topic. Nice! Your magnificent golden dream cake on the blog is also in keeping with our theme this month. Well done.

Posted: 05 October 2009 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

Silke, beautiful cake!  Love your pan, is that the Berndes tulip?  I almost bought that one myself!  Nice to see that the cakes baked in it turn out so lovely.  Your flavorings sound nice, too.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 05 October 2009 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

The cake looks and sounds wonderful Silke. I’m impressed that you started the Oct bake-off and didn’t wait till the 32nd to post it LOL  Making your own wine sounds like fun. Let us know how it tastes.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 05 October 2009 04:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2009-08-18

Beautiful Cake!

Posted: 05 October 2009 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

I love your Genoise ‘Rose’ and love your pan.  Was it 10 cup capacity?

Indeed, I agree that this is nothing else but the Genoise Classic, which with the orange syrup turns great and tender.  A dab or whipped cream is always welcomed, creme anglaise, or vanilla ice cream indeed.  So clever you added more types of oranges or lemons, i am certain it works fine.  I think CB suggests adding only liqueur (no simple syrup), but RHC suggests syrup with liqueur or orange juice which i think it tastes better than plain liqueur.

Thanks for liking my Golden Dream Wedding Cake that went public on the blog this Saturday.  Didn’t realize it fits the October Orange bake off, yes!

Wanted to report once again, that if you thought i once wrote superbly about the Caramel Silk Meringue Buttercream, which on a amaretto syruped biscuit de savoie makes the awesome copper topper cake (recipe on the book Rose’s Celebrations), wait until you try the Burnt Orange Silk Meringue Buttercream, on the new book for the pumpkin 3d cake.  It is the same caramel smbc plus concentrated fresh orange juice.  SUPERB.  I made 2 batches of the Burnt O smbc, yesterday, was a lot of steps, but how fun and what exquisite results.  I am proclaiming today the official sweet day as the burnt orange smbc!  wait until i have a chance to post on myyellowkitchen.com youtube this episode where my friend’s children licked clean the buttercream!

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 05 October 2009 07:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-25

Thanks everybody for the compliments!

@ Julie + Hector: It’s a Nordicware pan that I got years ago for $10 at a Ross or similar outlet. It’s a 9” pan (which I measured yesterday), and 10 cups sounds about right (it’s at home and I’m not). The cake rose almost to the top, and then sunk. I was a bit nervous about when to get it out (I usually bake bread and stick a thermometer in to know when it’s done….), but it came out perfect, though crooked, interestingly enough. My oven is level, and I’ve never seen that before…

@ Rozanne: Yep, I’m all proud of myself for being early this time, but since I’ll be in Orlando on October 32nd that wasn’t an option grin  Regarding the wine, I’m sure it’ll work out great, there is a professional wine maker involved and we’re only given lowly tasks so we can’t screw up. We tasted the last two vintages of the same wine and they were great. Interestingly enough, they had two versions of last year’s vintage, which they made with two different yeasts, and they tasted completely different. One was very fruity and big, the other one was more like French Bordeaux. I was wondering how much of an influence yeast has on bread and cake, and why there’s only one kind of commercial yeast, other than that you’re stuck with sourdough which I guess technically is a yeast as well.

Signature 

Posted: 05 October 2009 07:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

I love the look and sound of your cake, Silke.  Congratulations on getting in first!

Posted: 05 October 2009 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-25

Nah, I wasn’t first, that was Hector. He posted his on the topic discussion, and he baked three!

Signature 

Posted: 05 October 2009 09:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Beautiful cake Silke!  I love the photos - great bundt pan!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 06 October 2009 02:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

well, i really wanted something that has to do with the Pumpkin Cake with Burnt Orange Silk Meringue Buttercream because i am currently youtubing it, and though O for Orange or orange for the Genoise Rose with orange syrup which i am also youtubing!

Signature 

Posted: 06 October 2009 11:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Hector - do you think the Burnt Orange Silk Meringue Buttercream will be good with something else other than the Pumpkin Cake? I want to make it for a party this weekend but I think some friends do not like pumpkin. Any suggestions?

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 06 October 2009 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

Jenn, I have paired that buttercream with chocolate butter cake, and it is a wonderful combination.  Rose does this combo in The Cake Bible.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 06 October 2009 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Jenn, it is basically a vanilla silk meringue buttervream with a hint of caramel and orange kick, has no pumpkint at all, so like Julie, I think it will pair with anything that we have seen goes with caramel, vanilla, and/or orange.  The flavor of vanilla is the more pronounced, I would call this buttercream neutral as it would pair with everything.  On the first utube, we had it spread on a slice of Genoise Rose syruped with orange juice.

Thx for asking, it is a superb variation, more work than plain mousseline, but defenitelly worth it.  We filmed this with my friend Deanna children, they felt a bit puzzled and compared all the steps to an Alton Brown episode, due to all the science! But after tasting it, they begged looking forward to make it at home with Mom.  Wait till you see their reaccions to the first bite.

Signature 

1 of 7