Dough relaxer in cinnamon rolls
Posted: 06 October 2009 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-10-06

I am organizing a cinnamon roll fundraiser and some parents will be helping prepare the rolls that won’t have a lot of experience in working with yeast bread.  I have seen dough relaxer as an ingredient but have never used it personally.  I thought since we are planning on rolling out many rolls in one day, it would perhaps make the task easier.  Has anyone used this and does it help?  Also, have you noticed any difference in taste or any other changes to your product?

Posted: 06 October 2009 05:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  575
Joined  2007-11-18

FARMOM:
  Good afternoon & welcome to our baking forum. Mom, I can only state my opinion, as well as others that have expressed theirs as well from time to time in other baking circles. It has no merit & it doesn’t add any quality to the baked product. All that it helps with is while the yeast is functioning in a yeasted lean dough concoction after it does it’s thing the dough becomes esier to manipulate to shape. I do not think it’s worth the money for that purpose. However, there may be others that feel otherwise & perhaps we will hear from them.
Good luck in your baking enterprise & come back & let us know how well it turned out. Enjoy the rest of the day young lady.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 06 October 2009 05:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1074
Joined  2007-11-15

I would suggest that you use Gold Medal Better for Bread flour.  The protein in this flour is more extensible and easier to roll out.

Posted: 07 October 2009 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

I’m with Freshkid and Matthew.  Use good, honest ingredients and you will have fabulous cinnamon rolls.

Posted: 07 October 2009 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

Yes, I agree with the others, and I second the motion to use Better for Bread.  I’ve been using it for a few months, now- it really does make a noticeable difference in the extensibility of dough.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls