3 of 4
November Bake-off Topic
Posted: 30 October 2009 06:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

I should have stopped right there with the bad first batch and run out to get a gift. First I ran out of cocoa and had to get some from the neighbor who only had the Nesquick stuff. I also ended up in a huge hurry, didn’t wait for the ganache to properly get cold, poured the lacquer glaze on a bit early, dissolved some of the ganache, and to really top it put a huge gash in the top with the measuring cup I was using to pour the glaze. It looks ok, but I’ve done better. I’m just going to clean up now, pack my next suitcase, and not open the fridge for a few hours. Urgh. And then I’ll have to fight the traffic nightmare caused by the closed Bay Bridge. Praying that the cake survives it. Nothing like your beautiful avatar, Julie!

On the positive side, the lacquer glaze tastes awesome, I put some espresso in in lieu of some of the water. Though it doesn’t want to set, still totally liquid. Probably screwed up some measurement. Or have to be more patient for the gelatin to do its thing.

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 04 November 2009 01:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2009-09-25

So, What is going to be the bakeoff subject cake for November and December?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Annie’s beauty of a batch of muffins has me making THOSE for breakfast tomorrow.  I’m weighing out the ingredients now!

Signature 

Tom <”))))>(
(TDWyatt)
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -Plato

Posted: 04 November 2009 08:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16
Julie - 07 October 2009 12:21 AM

I was thinking that theme could include anything from the Mostly Flourless chapter of RHC, or any similar item from Rose’s other books.  From the Cake Bible, that would include the Bittersweet Cocoa-Almond Genoise, the Chocolate Cloud and Cocoa Souffle rolls, and the Cheesecakes and Oblivions.  In the spirit of the RHC chapter, using cake or crust around a filling would be fine.  Pies, too.

I think this is our theme for November.

For December, I was thinking we should just do a holiday theme- post whatever you’re baking for the holidays. 
What do you all think?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 04 November 2009 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18
Julie - 04 November 2009 12:01 PM

For December, I was thinking we should just do a holiday theme- post whatever you’re baking for the holidays. 
What do you all think?

I agree.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 04 November 2009 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Agreed - from any of Rose’s books, though!

Posted: 04 November 2009 07:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16
AnnieMacD - 04 November 2009 06:01 PM

Agreed - from any of Rose’s books, though!

Yes!

Signature 

Posted: 04 November 2009 08:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

I love that idea for December, too!

It’s probably going to be cookies for me. There are a lot of recipes from Rose’s Christmas Cookie book I want to try!

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 05 November 2009 12:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

I’m in for December! Not sure about November though. I’m away most of the month. How about it, Silke? Will you let me off the hook cuz I did the featherbed cake verrrry late in October?  wink

Posted: 05 November 2009 06:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-25

Carolita - of course you’re off the hook! Not that you’ll have to check with me, though I think it’s sweet to find this checking in here after my return!

Will have to see for December, other than traditional German cookies I don’t think anything will be very holiday-themed, since my favorite holiday is Thanksgiving, and Christmas is usually spent skiing. But that’s ok, no worries, I’ll just skip.

Edit: Also wanted to post a pic of the Genoise Tres Cafe. Despite the problems I had and the fact that nothing set well it tasted great, and was gone in record time. Sorry, the picture is a bit fuzzy, the place had no light whatsoever, and I only had my phone, no camera. It was good that it was dark, the genoise looked a bit funny, with darkish splotches where the coffee syrup went, and much lighter where it didn’t. Did anybody else make it and have the same problem?

Funny story on the side: I put it on the buffet uncut, I figured I’d do that later when people were ready to eat cake. Next time I look there is a guy trying to go at it with a plastic fork. THE WHOLE BEAUTIFUL CAKE!!!! Without cutting it! Just wanted to pry a corner out! After I put all the decorations on to make it obvious where to cut! I grabbed a knife, pointed it at him, I think he thought I was crazy…. Needless to say he backed away and let me cut the cake. He was so frightened that I had to bring him a piece to make up….

Image Attachments
Genoise Tres Cafe.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 05 November 2009 09:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Beautiful cake, Silke!  I wondered when I read the recipe if it would show the dark syrup.  Very, very funny story about the man with his fork and you with your knife!

Signature 

Posted: 06 November 2009 01:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-25

Thanks Julie! The next time I’ll try more syrup to get an even appearance.

Signature 

Posted: 06 November 2009 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

I just remembered that I saw a photo once, I think it was in Tartine, that showed a yellow sponge cake roulade that had been syruped with coffee and filled with chocolate bc, they had managed to get the syrup on so evenly (and only on the top side, not both) that it formed an even stripe of color, making the roulade even prettier- swirls of yellow cake, light brown syrup, and dark brown filling.

Signature 

Posted: 06 November 2009 11:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

The cake looks really good Silke. I laughed so hard when I read your story. The poor guy must have been traumatized. I can just picture the scene.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 06 November 2009 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  780
Joined  2007-11-15

Lovely looking cake, Silke!  Good story too! LOL

Posted: 06 November 2009 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1094
Joined  2009-05-26