3 of 4
RHC Gateau Breton
Posted: 17 October 2009 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2009-10-01

Thanks for the heads up. Now that I’m baking more, I’m using a lot more butter - in Kentucky I’m paying about $4.50/pound. I’ll check out what they have at Sam’s club.

Beth

Posted: 05 November 2009 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

Thought I’d also add my Gateaux Bretons - I’ve made little ones, hence the plural for the francophiles here. I had to eat one of them - delicious. I used grocery store butter, not European style (I leave that for my buttered bread with soft boiled eggs in the morning), and half the flour I used was King Arthur White Whole Wheat. I had a bit less egg yolk (67 instead of 75g) so I reduced all the ingredients by a smidge. My little, 3 1/2” nonstick pans, and I got 7 out of the dough. No problem getting the cakes out of the pans. I will make this recipe over and over again. Nice crumbly crust, moist interior - hmmmmm…..

Image Attachments
Gateau Breton.jpg
 Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 05 November 2009 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Oh, so sweet…and you can see how toothsome the cake is! Well done, Silke.

Posted: 05 November 2009 09:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

Lovely gateaux, Silke!  This cake is high on my to-do list.  I love your baby cakes version!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 05 November 2009 09:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2008-08-13

Looks really good Silke!

Posted: 06 November 2009 01:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

Thanks, Carol, Julie and Shimi. They taste really good, hard to believe it’s the same dough that forms the crust and makes the nice filling.

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 06 November 2009 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Cool idea to do mini ones. Thanks for sharing that info. The texture looks great.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 13 November 2009 10:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Here’s my go at the Gateau Breton.  I loved the flavor of this, the texture was aptly described as somewhere between shortbread and pound cake.  It’s more crumbly than cake, more moist than shortbread.  I admit to liking the Gateau Basque a little better, but this took far less time.

Editing to say I tried this again (below) and it turned out much more moist and soft in the middle.  This first attempt was a bit overbaked, which caused the texture to suffer.

Image Attachments
breton3.jpgbreton7.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 13 November 2009 11:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Looks great Julie. Thanks for the texture description. Did you use your new pan for this?

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 14 November 2009 01:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  164
Joined  2009-04-24

Looks good, Julie!  I liked this cake too because it is so easy to make and I thought it tasted really good.  It’s really good with nutella!

Is Gateau Basque from PPB?  I don’t see it in TCB.

Jess

Posted: 14 November 2009 08:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Rozanne, thank you!  Yes, this was the new tart pan, the 9.5” x 1.375” non-stick from Gobel.  It has somewhat taller sides than a classic tart pan.  It wasn’t available at the two sources listed in RHC, but I found it at BakeDeco.  I’ve been happily thinking of what to use it for next, maybe the pecan pie?

Jess, thanks for the kind words.  I also felt the need to add something, but haven’t come up with the perfect partner yet.  I keep thinking of vanilla ice cream, but maybe that’s because I recently made the Basque with its pastry cream interior.  Yes, the Gateau Basque is in the Pie and Pastry Bible.  My post on the Basque is here: http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/1565/  Glad. to see that your Breton also retained the fork marks.  When mine baked up with much more than the mere trace that RHC mentions, I wondered if I had made a mistake somewhere.

Forgot to add that I used Vermont Cultured 86% butter for this, plus the 2T water mentioned in the notes, and Billington’s Demerara sugar, ground superfine (which I hope is a reasonable substitute for the India Tree golden baker’s sugar).

Signature 

Posted: 14 November 2009 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

I’m dying here…  would love a slice of that Gateau Breton.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 15 November 2009 12:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2008-08-13

That looks really good Julie! Another one to add to my already long list of cakes to try from RHC. I can get cultured 83% butter easily, but the Demerara is going to be a bit of a problem.

Posted: 15 November 2009 08:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Thanks, Patrincia and Shimi!  Shimi, I was using demerara as a substitute for the sugar Rose recommends in the notes on this.  Can anyone who’s used India Tree golden baker’s sugar offer an opinion on using light brown unrefined sugars, ground superfine, as a substitute?  Such as Turbinado or Demerara?

Signature 

Posted: 19 November 2009 07:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

I wasn’t happy with my Gateau Breton results first time around, and after emailing with Jess (thanks!) I decided from his description that mine had gone wrong somewhere.  This time around the interior was more soft, tender and moist (second photo).  Last time I think I must have baked it too long, and the interior seemed almost sandy or mealy in texture.  I should have known Rose wouldn’t have done that to us!

Also, this time I poked the tines of the fork in to make tiny dots instead of dragging the fork to make tracks, and the result was much more like the photo in Heavenly Cakes (see third photo).  Nice to know either technique works, depending on the look you’re after.  Now that I’ve baked it properly, I would say it doesn’t need dressing up- it would be perfect with tea or a little fresh fruit.

Image Attachments
Breton A.jpgBreton Slice 2.jpgBreton B.jpg
 Signature 

3 of 4