Baking Powder in bundt or tube pans.
Posted: 08 January 2008 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-01-08

Dear Rose,

I use the chart in your book to asjust baking powder for large recipes or pans.
I ?d like to know if one needs to adjust the baking powder, when using bundt or tube pans.
If it’s necessary, how do one know how much/less to add?

Luis

Posted: 09 January 2008 12:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2007-11-05

bc you have the center tube for support you need less structure in the cake and therefore less leavening. i would start by increasing the baking powder by 1/2 teaspoon. if you don’t change the baking powder the cake will dome more and you will have a sort of apron when you invert the cake, i.e. the sides will rise a little off the surface of the serving plate. if you increase the baking powder too much the top will dip. but you’re safe with 1/2 teaspoon i think.

Posted: 09 January 2008 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

Rose, I was a little confused by your reply at first. First you say that you need less leavening because of the center tube, then you recommend increasing the baking powder.

Perhaps you were thinking of converting a recipe for a tube pan (with center tube) over to a Bundt pan (without center tube)?

I was thinking of converting a regular cake recipe over to a Bundt recipe. Any recommendations there? It seems to me that you must need a recipe that makes a cake that holds together well - a soft, very tender, almost crumbly cake would fall apart as you took it out of the pan. Would it be a good idea to substitute some bleached all-purpose flour for part of the cake flour? Should the leavening be increased?

I don’t yet have a big Bundt pan. I have two 4.5 cup pans and a rose-design muffin pan with 12 holes. I haven’t used either one yet—suggestions for “christening” the pans, anyone?

506 Baker, good luck with your Bundt baking! Let us know what happens…

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 09 January 2008 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2007-11-05

i’m sorry—i meant you need to increase the bp. if you find that the texture is too tender (and it firms by the next day by the way) or if you prefer a little more “bite” it’s fine to substitute some or all bleached all-purpose flour (equal weight).
i’ll be having many tube pan (bundt type) recipes in the upcoming book including a fabulous one for the rose-design muffin pan!

Posted: 09 January 2008 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1074
Joined  2007-11-15

I’ve never seen a Bundt pan without a center tube in it.  Do you have an example Barbara?

Posted: 09 January 2008 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-24

You’re right, Matthew! I just browsed the Nordic Ware and Kaiser web sites, and all the larger Bundt pans do have a center tube or a center depression. Thanks for the correction!

I was thinking of my mini-rose pan. It makes sense that these much smaller & shallower forms wouldn’t need a center tube.

Here’s the one I have: http://www.nordicware.com/store/categories/browse/EFCA5EBC-4975-102A-B382-0002B3267AD7/page/11

Rose, I am eagerly awaiting your next book, but I want to use the pans before then! wink

I guess I need to go drink a little more coffee and wake up. Or maybe go bake up something to cheer me up! (We’re in the midst of a January thaw—day after day of gray, foggy, damp weather. At least the dormer roof has stopped leaking now that the snow has melted off the roof.)

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 09 January 2008 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-24

oops, wrong link for the pan. Here’s the right one:
http://www.nordicware.com/store/products/detail/22406C74-7C89-102A-B382-0002B3267AD7

Definitely time to go bake!

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

‹‹ sugar      what does this mean ››