2 of 3
Tres Leches
Posted: 15 October 2009 07:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2009-09-09

That is beautiful!  I spent the last three years in Miami, where Tres Leches is served just about everywhere.  My husband and I love it.  I have been thinking about giving it a try.  How did it taste?

Posted: 15 October 2009 07:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Julie,

Your cake looks amazing - quite a work of art.  What was the flavour like and did the contrast with the textures of the caramel, cake and cream work well?

Posted: 16 October 2009 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4816
Joined  2008-04-16

Thanks again, you are all such a great support group!

I edited my response above, about the caramel, to say that I didn’t use a thermometer, just went by color and personal preference.

Taste: As a child, I used to love scraping out the remnants from a can of sweetened condensed milk, and this cake has the same appeal- smooth, creamy, sweet and milky, but more sophisticated.

Sweetness: I found this cake delicious, but couldn’t decide if it was perfectly sweetened or maybe a tad too sweet, but then again I am definitely a not-too-sweet person.  Using the nutrition label from the sweetened condensed milk, I calculated the sugar percentage by weight of the cake and syrup combined, and it is about 23% sugar, compared to around 24% for most of Rose’s butter cakes.  Rose’s whip cream that she pairs with the cake is perfect- less sweet than her standard recipe.  All I did was stabilize that with corn starch so I could frost the sides and pipe rosettes (I live in dairy country and used 40% cream).  I also added a very small amount of vanilla (1/4 tsp for 2 cups of cream) to mask any flavor from the corn starch.

Texture: The cake is very wet, it makes a small amount of its own sauce (as some of the milk mixture leaks out) which you can spoon onto plates when serving if you like.  I loved, loved, loved the extremely moist cake with the creamy whipped cream, my favorite bites had the perfect balance of both. The caramel flavor was a good complement, though most people picked up the triangles and ate them separately. The caramel is very crunchy, I think it’s important to keep the squiggles fine and not too thick. I liked the fact that the caramel triangles provided portion control (there were 16 triangles, and the portion size was just about right), because I had a large group and didn’t want to make two cakes and then have lots left over.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Three New Takes on a Classic Fall Dessert

Posted: 16 October 2009 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  164
Joined  2009-04-24

Thanks for the notes, Julie.  Your cake looks lovely.  This is one of my favorite cakes and it caught my eye when I first bought the book.  I’ll be trying them soon!

Jess

Posted: 16 October 2009 02:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

Julie, this is a great review!  Love your caramel work, and yes, I don’t use a thermometer neither, you can tell from the point the sugar turns color to light gold and off the heat continues to darken.  I tell everyone to avoid heating the sugar till dark gold or “caramel color” because it would get overdone and start getting bitter tasting.  Your cake can be on my caramel cage portfolio!

Btw, try the flan from Rose’s Melting Pot.  It is one of those milk/caramel loves.  Rose’s recipe is very similar to mines -)

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 17 October 2009 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2007-11-15

STUNNING…. what a beautiful cake Julie!  Very professional looking smile.  I can’t wait to make this cake… it sounds so good!
Wow, I just can’t get over how lovely your cake turned out…. it’s drop dead gorgeous!!!!!

Signature 

Come visit me at

Blog:  http://butteryum.org
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/ButterYum
Pinterest:  http://www.pinterest.com/butteryum/
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/ButterYum.ATastyLittleFoodBlog

Posted: 17 October 2009 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Jess, Hector and Patrincia, thanks so much for all the praise!  It’s very encouraging and rewarding, and makes me feel like I’ve come a long way since first buying The Cake Bible. 

I remember the cupcake fiasco that led me to the Cake Bible in the first place.  I was trying to make strawberry cupcakes for my daughter’s birthday, and I added fresh strawberry puree to a scratch yellow cake recipe and mixed the batter with a spoon- you can imagine the dense, flat result!  She was so young she hadn’t yet had enough cupcakes to know how poorly those turned out, she was just happy they had pink frosting.  I wasn’t really a “cake person”, but I knew I would need to make a respectable birthday cake once a year for a number of years, so I bought the Cake Bible and a Sunbeam mixer.  My, how things have changed!  It’s been four and a half years now, and I’ve enjoyed everything I’ve learned and done, the mistakes and successes alike.  Thanks so much, Rose!

Signature 

Posted: 17 October 2009 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2007-11-15

You’ve come a long way baby!
smile

Signature 

Come visit me at

Blog:  http://butteryum.org
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/ButterYum
Pinterest:  http://www.pinterest.com/butteryum/
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/ButterYum.ATastyLittleFoodBlog

Posted: 17 October 2009 07:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2009-09-06

Wow your cake looks great and you make the caramel sound so easy.  Will definitely give those a go.

Posted: 18 October 2009 01:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Julie, your cake is almost too beautiful for words. I read the post within seconds of your making it, and literally didn’t know what to say. “Well done,” just didn’t cover it, though it certainly was. I waited until I would have a little more time to write a proper response. Meanwhile others said so many of the things I was thinking and feeling as I looked, gob-smacked, at those beautiful photos.

I’ll add now that I’m thrilled for the increasing skill, confidence and joy you’re experiencing as a baker. It’s amazing to learn in your most recent post that you’ve only been at this for 4 1/2 years. Your work is so very professional. When I first saw your version of Tres Leches, I was transported back to a fancy hotel in London where my jaw dropped one evening years ago, looking at the cakes and pastries on offer after a 5-star meal. Your cake would have been right at home among them.

I also appreciate the detailed notes you gave, and loved the way you shared your experience of the recipe and info about your innovations - so encouraging and supportive of others to try this cake, too, and succeed.

Posted: 20 October 2009 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Patrincia, thanks for saying so!

WeeGem, I really did find the caramel easy and enjoyable to make.  Perhaps part of the reason is that the caramel stays in the pyrex cup the whole time, and you pour continuously from piece to piece, so that there are very few opportunities to burn your fingers.

Carolita, you have my gratitude for such nice comments, thank you!

Signature 

Posted: 20 October 2009 10:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1091
Joined  2009-05-26

Julie - you have reached 1000 comments, congrats smile.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 21 May 2010 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  161
Joined  2007-11-21
Julie - 15 October 2009 03:28 AM

Here is Rose’s Tres Leches cake from RHC, it was delicious!  The frosting is corn starch stabilized whipped cream, the cake was unmolded and frosted about 3 hours ahead of serving (but kept chilled).  I beveled the whip cream away from the lower edge, so that the milk syrup could leak out without ruining the cream (see third photo).  For the top, I made caramel squiggles and placed them on the cake at serving time, with a little rosette of whip cream underneath each one to hold it in place.

The photos don’t show the top of the cake as well as one might hope- my daughter very kindly took these while I was playing host, and she wasn’t tall enough to get an overview!

As I was making this I was thinking that this would make the ideal cake for someone who is just getting started with genoise or biscuit.  The cake uses a whole egg foam, which I find easier than all whites or separate yolks and whites.  There is no butter or chocolate to fold in, and soaking it with nearly 5 cups of the milks will cure any fear of syruping.  I was able to bake this nicely in a 2.5” springform with a parchment collar (calls for a 3” pan), and my finished height before trimming the crust was 2 5/8”.  My oven was running a little hot, so it may be possible to get a little more height out of this with a proper temp.  I did strain the milk mixture, as it had a lot of “skin” from boiling.

Gasp! It is even more beautiful up close, of course, where I can see the details via your budding photographer’s lens. Thank you so much for sharing with me. I am grateful to you as always. I can’t wait to make this. Maybe for the free week at RHC. Thanks again.  smile

Signature 

http://bakingsorceressapprentice.blogspot.com

Posted: 30 June 2010 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  161
Joined  2007-11-21
Joan - 21 May 2010 06:04 PM
Julie - 15 October 2009 03:28 AM

Here is Rose’s Tres Leches cake from RHC, it was delicious!  The frosting is corn starch stabilized whipped cream, the cake was unmolded and frosted about 3 hours ahead of serving (but kept chilled).  I beveled the whip cream away from the lower edge, so that the milk syrup could leak out without ruining the cream (see third photo).  For the top, I made caramel squiggles and placed them on the cake at serving time, with a little rosette of whip cream underneath each one to hold it in place.

The photos don’t show the top of the cake as well as one might hope- my daughter very kindly took these while I was playing host, and she wasn’t tall enough to get an overview!

As I was making this I was thinking that this would make the ideal cake for someone who is just getting started with genoise or biscuit.  The cake uses a whole egg foam, which I find easier than all whites or separate yolks and whites.  There is no butter or chocolate to fold in, and soaking it with nearly 5 cups of the milks will cure any fear of syruping.  I was able to bake this nicely in a 2.5” springform with a parchment collar (calls for a 3” pan), and my finished height before trimming the crust was 2 5/8”.  My oven was running a little hot, so it may be possible to get a little more height out of this with a proper temp.  I did strain the milk mixture, as it had a lot of “skin” from boiling.

Gasp! It is even more beautiful up close, of course, where I can see the details via your budding photographer’s lens. Thank you so much for sharing with me. I am grateful to you as always. I can’t wait to make this. Maybe for the free week at RHC. Thanks again.  smile

Julie, I finally made this cake. Like you, I found it quite simple and delicious. My topping of course was not so gorgeous as your because I didn’t do the little squiggles, but I will do them somewhere soon!!

Signature 

http://bakingsorceressapprentice.blogspot.com

Posted: 30 June 2010 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

I found the cake on your blog, beautiful!

Signature 

2 of 3

‹‹ Christening cake      RHC spice cake ››