Weighing Eggs
Posted: 15 October 2009 11:20 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2009-10-06

I recently purchased a scale, and started to weigh rather than measure my ingredients.  My question is how do I compensate for any difference (over or under weight) when weighing whole eggs?  Should I add more white, yolk, or scramble one together to make up the difference?

Posted: 15 October 2009 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Congratulations on your new scale!  The safest thing to do is to lightly beat the egg, then take what you need for the partial egg. 

Sometimes I add yolk when a partial egg is called for, but it depends on what you’re making (and whether you have a use for the remainder).  I generally like the extra richness and emusification that comes from yolks, and since yolks have gotten smaller in recent years, I figure many whole egg recipes could use a little more.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 15 October 2009 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

I always weight yolks and whites separetelly even when called for whole eggs.  The weight of 1 yolk or 1 white can be deduced from the biscuit de savoie recipe or recipes calling for either whites or yolks or both but separatelly.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 15 October 2009 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

I usually add yolk when I need extra…because I save the whites in a container for angel food and for mousseline buttercream

Posted: 16 October 2009 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2009-10-06

Thanks to everyone for the great feedback.

Posted: 16 October 2009 08:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2009-09-25
Pop - 15 October 2009 02:20 PM

I recently purchased a scale, and started to weigh rather than measure my ingredients.  My question is how do I compensate for any difference (over or under weight) when weighing whole eggs?  Should I add more white, yolk, or scramble one together to make up the difference?

I am lucky that I live out in the sticks and can go out and get still-warm just-layed eggs to bake with when I’m at home, The only disadvantage I thought I had was that the eggs vary from 45 gms (in the shell) to 70 gms each.  When using grade A large store-bought eggs, the in-shell weight is usually between 53-59 gms each, and at close to 49-52 gms each without shells, so I had been just selecting eggs that totalled close to the weight I need for a recipe (plus 3-5 gms/egg for the shells), then crack the eggs and weigh them without the shell to get really close when scaling up or down for a recipe, adding a little water if only off by a few grams.  I had never considered it an advantage, but I guess it falls that way (and the eggs are always fresh!).

I would imagine that you could buy a carton or two of med and/or jumbo eggs if you want to get closer with whites or yolks and mix and match the same way, but for whole eggs, the scrambling idea sounds easier.  You can always freeze the seperated yolks and whites when not needed in a recipe as mentioned above.

Hope This Helps.

Signature 

Tom <”))))>(
(TDWyatt)
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -Plato

Posted: 16 October 2009 10:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

I usually buy medium eggs (they happen to be cheaper for the particular brand I like). For most recipes I just beat the whole eggs a bit to scramble, weigh out the amount I need, and freeze the rest. Most recipes aren’t that sensitive to small differences in the yolk-to-white ratio.

For something like a sponge cake or genoise, where the leavening depends only on the eggs, I would weigh yolks and white separately.

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 17 October 2009 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

I buy Jumbo eggs because they’re the cheapest.  When a recipe calls for whole eggs, I beat them together and measure out just what I need.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 20 May 2010 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  153
Joined  2007-11-21

Thank you all so much! I have never before had a satisfactory answer to my question about weighing the whole egg yolk+white. Possibly because it was the easiest and most obvious smile Also, because of the small-yolks situation, Hector suggests it would seem prudent to add an extra yolk for every 4 eggs. I am also about to begin buying extra-large organic.

Signature 

http://bakingsorceressapprentice.blogspot.com