Croissants! (well, crescents, anyhow ... )
Posted: 09 January 2008 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2007-11-15

I made croissants yesterday, and I’m assuming that since they turned out more like American style crescent rolls than an actual croissant that there’s something about this technique that I haven’t yet mastered.

I think the butter must have been absorbed into the dough, rather than staying in proper layers.

Anyone ever had this problem crop up? Any advice??

For all that they didn’t turn out ‘right’, they are delicious. Wonderfully buttery and tasty.

I rolled the dough out to the specified size before cutting, and wound up with eighteen instead of the 12-14 mentioned in the recipe, so I guess part of the problem might have been that I rolled out the dough too thinly, despite the fact that I got the dough stretched out to the ‘right’ numbers?

Posted: 09 January 2008 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24
Anna - 09 January 2008 07:35 PM

For all that they didn’t turn out ‘right’, they are delicious. Wonderfully buttery and tasty.

That’s one thing I love about cooking—so often even the “mistakes” are good to eat!

I’ve never made croissants so I don’t have any advice to offer. I’m sure somene else on the forums will, though!

Enjoy your baking!

Barbara A.

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 10 January 2008 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  603
Joined  2007-11-18

ANNA:
  Good afternoon. I read your post with much interest Anna. In the 2nd paragraph you mentioned that you rolled out the butter into the dough too thin???.  The reason why I am posting Anna is because generally speaking, in Croissant baking the butter is mixed in in (2) segaments. The second insertion is larger in amount than the first application.  If you can Anna you can post the recipe
& the directions maybe we can help you better. Good luck in your baking & have a nice day young lady.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 10 January 2008 09:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2007-11-15

I used the recipe from Rose’s ‘The Bread Bible’, and followed the directions to the best of my ability. It’s far too lengthy to post here, and doing so would likely constitute some sort of copyright infringement, so no, I won’t be posting it.