RHC spice cake
Posted: 16 October 2009 11:47 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2009-10-01

Sorry, no picture. I made the spice cake tonight, 2 7” layers, baked with Rose’s silicone strips, and on a baking stone that had been preheated for an hour. Next time I’ll take the stone out of the oven first, but I was curious to how the cake would react. Perhaps I left them in too long - the edges had already pulled away from the sides. I sampled the less perfect cake (I had trouble getting the batter in smoothly in that one). It was unbelievably delicious. thanks, Rose. Tomorrow I will make the buttercream. One thing that always frustrates me is how long it takes me to get batter to the pans. I keep fooling with the paddle, trying to get the batter off. Anyway, I figure professionals must have an easier time of it. I watched a few of Rose’s videos. In one of them she knocked the paddle on the side of the bowl; on the other one she didn’t. For those of you who are expert, what are your favorite ways to achieve this? I realize I should move this to Cakes q and a. Maybe I’ll come back another time and do that.

Beth

Posted: 17 October 2009 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

No expert here, but I remove batter from my paddle by knocking it on the bowl and using a thin silicone spatula.  Sometimes I even go at it with my thumb and index finger.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 17 October 2009 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

Ok, maybe I’m a little obsessive, but I knock the paddle or whisk against my hand, so that tapping the bowl won’t dislodge air bubbles from the cake.  Then I go at it with either a spatula or my fingers.  I think maybe I obsess about the air bubbles because I like to make egg foam-type cakes and I imagine them to be so delicate.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 17 October 2009 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Haha… I prefer fewer air bubble in my butter cake batters.  But seriously, I don’t think you have to worry about that when making butter cakes - the batter isn’t that fragile.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 17 October 2009 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2009-10-01

Thanks, guys. I use my fingers and a spatula, but it still seems to take me forever. I haven’t tried a silicone spatula yet. I agree, if I were making a genoise then I wouldn’t want to bang, but there probably isn’t as much batter haning on. I always feel that there is too much batter that doesn’t end up in the cake pan. I think I’ll start watching more videeos to see if I can perfect my technique. Beth

Posted: 19 October 2009 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Beth - I usually go with silicone spatula first, try to clean as much as possible. Then sometimes I go with my fingers - that was I can also taste the batter smile.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

‹‹ Tres Leches      From the pumpkin patch... ››