2 of 2
Is anyone here British?
Posted: 31 January 2010 02:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  637
Joined  2008-01-24

Sadly the English Tea party is still in the planning stages. red face  But, last night I used Roxanne’s shortbread recipe for a dinner party. Just let me say. Wow! Everyone raved. The recipe was very clear. I used my new BeaterBlade to cream the butter and it made very short work of the job. I like to improvise but I was determined to be as faithful to the recipe as I could. I wanted the processed almonds to be very fine but they were still gritty yet turning into almond butter so I used 1/4 cup of the flour in the food processor to keep the mixture loose. Since the recipe produces two rounds I couldn’t resist being a little creative. I made a quick chocolate ganache to spread on the top of one. At about 1/4” thick it was a great complement to the almonds. So other than those two deviations it was all Roxanne’s doing. Thanks again for the recipe.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 31 January 2010 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2007-11-18

You?re welcome, Gene! I?m glad you enjoyed it! grin That recipe is one of my favorites, and a best seller at the tea shop.

Roxanne

Signature 

Visit my blog: The Mile High Baker at http://www.milehighbaker.blogspot.com

Posted: 04 March 2010 12:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Is it time for tea yet, Gene??? Just came across a complete menu for afternoon tea that sounds scrumptious and thought of your thread. Three types of “little sandwiches”, scones of course, three sweets and all served with tea or one of two different punches. You were after pastry ideas, as I recall. This menu said lemon squares, walnut sandies and apricot oatmeal bars.

I say, “Let ‘em eat cake!”  tongue rolleye

Posted: 04 March 2010 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-24

Thanks Carol that sounds delightful. I still have the tea in mind but since the ‘girls’ haven’t penciled it in (after all this time) I am not holding my breath. I do think it will happen some day and I sure appreciate all of the help. smirk

Signature 

Posted: 13 January 2011 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  142
Joined  2010-01-18

Awww Gene - if I could come for tea I definitely would! Your menu sounds delightful! Carolita I am thrilled to read you are a fellow Canuck - perhaps I will have to come visit for tea next time I’m out on the Island. Roxanne your Shortbread is one I will definitely try! I do a slice n bake one with Marzipan bits in it and ground almonds, but it is very crispy. So will try and see if yours is “shorter”. One other suggestion for special TeaTime treats - Empire Cookies, or Maid of Honour Tarts. And a question - does anyone know of a good recipe for Frangipane Tartlets? I love them and would like to try them.

Posted: 14 January 2011 12:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-24

Hi Kuchen,
Nice to know someone is reading these old threads. Are you of German ancestry?. I made Dampf Nudeln for Christmas Eve this year. I think it has become a tradition.

Signature 

Posted: 14 January 2011 02:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-18

Ja sicher! I am of Bessarabien (Romanian) German descent - but born in Canada. Fluent in German nonetheless. my grandsons define me as “the Omi that bakes cakes”... hence my profile name derived from the German… So I definitely know what dampf nudeln are and also cook & bake lots of yummy German specialties (in addition to many other ethnic things, and of course Rose’s cakes!). I really enjoy reading the many helpful and informative posts on this site and came upon this one while searching/responding to another thread on Marzipan vs Almond Paste. For our Christmas Eve our family has - for the last almost 40 years - been having a really lovely (low stress!!) supper of a cold Chicken Salad dish (accompanied only by soft rolls & green salad) preceeded by various hot hors’d'ouvres. Then I always serve some kind of showstopping dessert. We do love Seidene Kloesse with our Turkey though - and Rotkohl! How about you?

Posted: 14 January 2011 09:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2010-12-28
kuchenbaaker - 14 January 2011 06:59 AM

For our Christmas Eve our family has - for the last almost 40 years - been having a really lovely (low stress!!) supper of a cold Chicken Salad dish (accompanied only by soft rolls & green salad) preceeded by various hot hors’d'ouvres. Then I always serve some kind of showstopping dessert.

I would love that meal (but unfortunately it wouldn’t go over with my Hubby).  I bet your food was wonderful.

Posted: 14 January 2011 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-18

Guess you have a meat n potatoes kinda guy hey? My dad was like that too but he didn’t mind the salad once a year! It is very rich and decadent, but easy and just delicious. We only serve it for Christmas Eve. My mom had it at a very sophisticated, high-class German woman’s home once (I think she got it ready made from a deli!) and we replicated it. We loved it so much it became our traditional supper. But I think it would also be lovely for New Years’ Eve. The hot appies (or you could have consomme) offset that the main dish is cold. Our family joke is the first time my (now) Son-In-Law ate here at Christmas, we had all the appies, then sat down for the salad. He only ate very sparingly - thinking that the “Main” course was still to come… then he was still hungry later after the gifts were all opened! Now he knows - the Salad IS the main course! We kid him about it every year! Just to let everyone know - I think I am going to enter the recipe for that salad in a recipe contest shortly, as it is an “original” creation.

Posted: 14 January 2011 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2010-12-28

Yes, you guessed right- he is a meat and potatoes guy- definitely.  grin

2 of 2