Pumpkin Pie
Posted: 18 October 2009 11:10 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2007-11-16

Tooting my own horn, LOL.  One of the larger local towns here in NJ sponsored a Pumpkin Festival this weekend.  The ‘posh’restaurant in the town conducted a pumpkin pie contest. 

Naturally, I had to enter. 

The restaurant?s pastry chef was the judge.  Criteria was overall appearance, crust, and taste. 

I made my pie with fresh pumpkin puree from a local farm market.  The little leaf/acorn/pumpkin decorations are rolled vanilla sugar cookies, cut with miniature cookie cutters, placed on after baking. 

This pie won first place, and a gift certificate of $75 to the restaurant.  : )

Image Attachments
PumpkinPie RLB.jpg

Posted: 19 October 2009 12:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Lovely pie, Mrs M!!! I can see why you took the prize. Well done.

Posted: 19 October 2009 06:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Really lovely!  Congratulations.  What did you do for the crust and filling- your own recipe?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 19 October 2009 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-16

Thank you.  Here are my recipes:

10 inch single Pie Crust
This is a Cook’s Illustrated recipe from years and years ago, not the recent Vodka one.  It is scaled up from their 9 inch original recipe (1 cup flour)

1 3/8 cups (6.2 ounces) King Arthur all purpose flour (recipe works best with King Arthur Flour)
1/2 teaspoon + pinch   salt
3 1/3 teaspoons sugar
3.3 ounces (6 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon) unsalted butter
1.9 ounces (5 tablespoons) Crisco shortening
3 - 4.5 tablespoons ice water

Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Cut in butter and Crisco.  Stir in enough water to make dough just cohere.  Wrap in plastic wrap and chill at least 2 hours, or up to two days.  Roll out when ready to bake pie.

Pumpkin Pie    

This recipe just evolved for me, based on looking at many recipes and my husband liking or not liking the combination of spices every year I made the pie.  (I don’t like pumpkin)
9? Deep Dish Pyrex Pan

2 eggs                  
2 cups cooked fresh pumpkin puree (or canned pumpkin puree)  (I ALWAYS use fresh pumpkin puree from the cheese pumpkin)
      http://www.seedlibrary.org/catalog/?exchange=squash_winter&seed=long_island_cheese_pumpkin
3/4 cups (5.25 ounces) sugar            
14 ounces (1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons) evaporated milk          
1/2 teaspoon vanilla            
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

Line 9? deep dish pie plate with the crust. 

Whisk eggs.  Whisk in remaining ingredients. Carefully pour into pie shell. 

Bake at 425? for 15 minutes.  Reduce heat to 350? and bake for 50-55 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool and serve with sweetened whipped cream.

Rolled Sugar Cookie Decorations

This recipe is from Mrs. Field’s Cookie Book.  If I was more clever and didn’t have carpal tunnel, I would have decorated them with painted on colored icings.  I normally don’t do this when I make my pie for Thanksgiving, but the judging was based on crust, presentation and taste, so I dressed it up a little bit.

12 tablespoons (3/4 cup) unsalted butter
5.25 ounces (3/4 cup) granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
9 ounces (2 cups) all-purpose Flour

Preheat oven to 350?.  Middle rack, cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.

Cream butter, sugar and salt.  Add egg and vanilla.  Add flour.  Place soft dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, as for pie crust, or freeze until firm enough to roll out.

Divide dough in half, refrigerate reserved half while working with one half.  Roll cold dough between sheets of parchment paper to 1/8 or 1/4 inch thickness, as you prefer. (These were 1/8 inch cookies)  Freeze (parchment and all) on cookie sheets until hard.  Cut out with desired shaped cutter.  Bake on parchment lined sheets, 13-15 minutes for 1/8 inch thick cookies, 18-20 minutes for 1/4 inch thick cookies, or until bottom edges just begin to color.  Be careful not to let brown.  Cool on wire rack.  Lightly brush with beaten egg white and decorate before baking, or ice with confectioner?s sugar icing and decorate when cool.

Posted: 19 October 2009 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Congratulations MrsM. Your pie looks perfect.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 19 October 2009 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-16

Thanks, Rozanne.  I was pleased that there were no cracks, as pumpkin is prone to do.

MrsM

Posted: 19 October 2009 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Can I toot your horn too - Toot-toot!  Excellent pie - I absolutely love it!!!!!!  How wonderful for you smile.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 19 October 2009 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-16

Thank you Patrincia.