Portuguese Rolls Recipe?
Posted: 09 January 2008 11:34 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  130
Joined  2007-11-28

Some background:  I was born and raised in southeastern Massachusetts, where there is a large population of people of Portuguese descent (in one form or another - my mother’s family originated in the Azores).  There are a few things that I really miss living now in the DC area: Autocrat coffee syrup, Gaspar’s linguica and Portugese rolls from the School Street Bakery. Oh, and their malasadas, too grin

Some good news: I recently discovered that Harris Teeter has Gaspar’s linguica and chorico (thereby saving enormous amounts of space in my freezer).  Not-so-good news: Harris Teeter’s Portuguese rolls are rather disappointing.

If you’ve never had a Portuguese roll, they’re a bit lighter in texture than Italian bread (soft, open crumb) a little shorter and wider than a hoagie roll, with a light, kind of crisp crust.

Does anyone know of a recipe for these beauties?  I’ve Google’d my brains out to no avail.  (Hector, maybe you can help! Hawaii’s the only other place I’ve seen lots of Portuguese food.)

Signature 

It’s all about the food.

My Facebook Profile or follow @Cookin_n_Cussin on Twitter

Posted: 10 January 2008 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  589
Joined  2007-11-18

DAN O’B:
  Good afternoon Dan. Is it possible Dan that the ingredients for the rolls you have described use a combination as in either or both of fat like butter/margerine crisco, or barley corn flour or meal????. If so I may be able to post a recipe or two.
  Enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID. cool hmm

Posted: 19 January 2008 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2007-12-04

Dan,

I spent a great deal of time on the Cape and grew to love Portuguese bread (rolls, loaves, you name it.) I too have been looking for a recipe and recently came across a cookbook at the library called Portuguese Homestyle Cooking by Ana Patuleia Ortins. According to her brief bio on the jacket, she is a first generation descendant of Portuguese immigrants from the Alto Alentejo region. She holds a culinary degree (not specified from where) and teaches Portuguese cooking. Any way, I tried her recipe for Papo-secos (Crusty Rolls) and was thrilled with the results. Best of all, they seem to freeze very well. She has several other bread recipes as well that I plan to try, but the rolls were right on for me.

Posted: 19 January 2008 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2007-12-04

Dan’
omt…the papo-secos that i made look like the picture of the rolls that you provided a link to in your post

Posted: 05 October 2009 10:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-10-05

Hi:  Just joined.  Don’t know my way around yet.  Where’s that link to the crusty rolls?  Thanks.