Blood orange curd
Posted: 20 October 2009 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2008-12-05

Hello Everyone,

I want to make a blood orange buttercream. I bought some blood orange concentrate and thought I should be able to follow rose’s recipe for passion fruit curd to make the blood orange curd but i’m not sure I can do this as blood oranges are more bitter and sweeter. Any suggestions? I was using 3 egg yolks, 1/2 c sugar, 3 tbsp butter, pinch of salt and 5 tbsp blood orange concentrate.

Posted: 20 October 2009 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Hi Steve, Rose gives specific directions/ingredients for blood orange curd in the Pie and Pastry Bible, p.569. 

Are you basing this on the recipe in RHC?  She reduces freshly squeezed blood orange juice by half to make curd, so you may need to figure out how concentrated your concentrate is! 

To the passion curd recipe in RHC, try adding 1.5 tsp of orange zest, using 6T of concentrate (assuming it is double strength compared to juice), and 6T (75g) sugar. 

Good luck!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 20 October 2009 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2008-12-05

thanks.

Posted: 04 March 2012 09:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2011-10-21

I just tried making the blood orange curd from the PPB and it did not thicken in the oven. Even after an extended. time in. Has anyone Ebro had trouble with this recipe? Thanks!

Posted: 04 March 2012 10:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

I don’t have my book in front of me, but three things to check are if yolks were weighed, if the juice was reduced by half before making the curd, and if you brought it uniformly up to the right temperature in the pan, before putting it in the oven.  The oven time is just to re-connect bonds that were broken by stirring, it doesn’t serve as the main thickening reaction.  The main thickening reaction takes place in the saucepan.

Hope there’s something there that rings a bell and helps you resolve the issue. smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 01 April 2012 01:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2011-10-21

Thanks! i think i figured it out: i didnt reduce the orange juice enough so it ended up being more liquidy than it should have been. But not all was lost: I scooped it out of the tart shell, strained it and used it to make orange mousseline!

Posted: 01 April 2012 01:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1179
Joined  2009-11-24
cakemonster - 01 April 2012 04:10 AM

Thanks! i think i figured it out: i didnt reduce the orange juice enough so it ended up being more liquidy than it should have been. But not all was lost: I scooped it out of the tart shell, strained it and used it to make orange mousseline!

This is where I wish there was a like button!!  Creative save!

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.