2 of 2
Magnificent cakes and Cake Bible
Posted: 22 October 2009 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2009-10-14

Thanks Holly - Unfortunately as I mentioned Amazon no longer supplies us. To give you some idea of the premium we pay here for books Cake Bible new price Amazon $25 (my local bookseller’s price $38). Pie and pastry $32 (my local price $62)! I have decided to order the Cake Bible as well.

Posted: 22 October 2009 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-14

Thanks Holly - Unfortunately as I mentioned Amazon no longer supplies us. To give you some idea of the premium we pay here for books Cake Bible new price Amazon $25 (my local bookseller’s price $38). Pie and pastry $32 (my local price $62)! I have decided to order the Cake Bible as well. Local prices include shipping.

Posted: 22 October 2009 05:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

TCB is the foundation and mother of all cake books. You can’t go wrong with TCB. As the others mentioned if you can, get RHC as well. It will be a great addition to your collection. Bakewise is great for the scientific info. The recipes are a little too sweet for me.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 22 October 2009 06:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2008-01-07

Yeah, but if you buy it used you are not actually buying from Amazon inc. They charge you the premium, even when you are buying with a sell through merchant, rather than Amazon.com?

-Holly

Signature 

http://tooling-up.blogspot.com

Posted: 22 October 2009 09:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Holly, nice to see you back on the forums- bake anything lately?

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 22 October 2009 10:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26
Holly Gates - 22 October 2009 09:05 PM

Yeah, but if you buy it used you are not actually buying from Amazon inc. They charge you the premium, even when you are buying with a sell through merchant, rather than Amazon.com?

-Holly

Holly - I thought if you buy it used Amazon is still the intermediary who organize payments? As far as I know, if a country is blocked through Amazon, as soon as you fill out where you live, you wouldn’t be able to go through with the transaction. I think eBay does the same thing.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 23 October 2009 01:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-14

Jenn that was my understanding too but in any case one would still face the risk of mail theft which is very high here. The only other alternative is UPS (courier by air) - this is safe - I use it for high priced cameras etc but prohibitively expensive for books. In addition it has to go through customs here which can take forever and massive red tape.

Incidentally I have heard Amazon UK still deals with us but I am not prepared to risk the mail theft.

2 of 2