Deep Chocolate Passion Christening cake results!
Posted: 26 October 2009 07:27 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2009-05-14

This is the Christening cake I made for a colleagues grand daughter.  I am not a cake decorator so I do not expect any praise for the amateur decorating attempt.  I used the deep chocolate passion cake recipe with raspberry mouselline buttercream and frosted with vanilla mouselline buttercream. I have never used the mouselline recipe before. I had no problems and it was very easy to work with.
I actually made two 12 inch cakes as they were having about 100 people to the reception.
As most of you know, I had problems in finding a 12 inch X 2 inch cake pan. I was tempted to try it out in the 11 X 3 1/2 inch pan I had but chickened out. I found a 12 X 2 1/2 pan…but could only find one.  I also did not have bleached all purpose flour so I Kate floured it. (I had American cake flour that my long suffering sister sent to me in August.)
Again, I thank the forum friends for answering questions and being so helpful. You gave me courage!
The only problem I had and I am sure it is my inexperience in making big cakes…I had cake crumbs that would not go away even with a crumb coat. I don’t have a big enough freezer to fit the layers in. I am thinking that if I could have cooled the first crumb coat that the crumbs would have been less mobile. But it was only a small problem that frustrated me at 5 am in the morning. I just kept thinking as I was making these cakes that I admire anyone who does a wedding cake. You need nerves of steal! I was exhausted in the end!

My cake layers came out absolutely beautiful. I was overjoyed with the results. My colleague said that she has never seen people so crazy over a cake. Everyone wanted to know where she bought it from. So, my compliments to Rose, for such a good recipe that made a fantastic cake and Christening celebration.
I don’t have any other pictures. I wasn’t invited to the reception so I didn’t even get to taste the cake!
Cheers to all

Image Attachments
IMG_2176-small.jpg

Posted: 26 October 2009 07:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Oh, it’s so sweet Melinda! Darling, in fact!! You’ve got absolutely nothing to apologise for in the decoration. And we know it tastes good. What a fantastic job, too, in solving problems as they cropped up…the pan, flour, etc. Tell us how you did the blocks and the little teddy bear. I love them!

About the crumbs, being able to chill after the crumb coat is one answer. But since your freezer isn’t big enough, maybe a thicker layer for the crumb coat and refrigerate before doing the final coat? Others may have suggestions, too.

Posted: 26 October 2009 08:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Melinda, you are the hero of the British RLB bakers!  This is one beautiful cake in my eyes and, as Carol says, no reason at all to apologize.  Referigerating the crumb coat helps a lot so try that next time - there WILL be a next time.  We were all collectively holding our breaths for you and you did us proud.  It’s just such a shame that you did not get a taste.  Oh, and one more thing, did you syrup the cakes with the choc/milk ganache?  Your writing is so lovely and steady…very impressive.

Posted: 26 October 2009 09:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-05-14

Hello Carolita and Annie Mac D, You are both very kind with your lovely comments.

Carolita, the bear and blocks are modeled out of fondan that are white and tinted shades of pink.  The bear is simple and a 5 year old could do it…6 balls of fondant and blob them into shape. Well, maybe a bit more involved than that but it is easy-peasy. And the blocks are just that…blocks of fondant. I wasn’t going to attempt anything more difficult. I love a nicely decorated cake, but the cake taste has always been more important to me. Some day I will go to decorating classes and learn to squiggle beautifully in icing.

Annie MacD: I see you are in Scotland so you probably understand the pan and flour difficulties quite well! I did use the chocolate ganache syrup. The cake felt very moist and tender not wet and soggy that I saw in my pessimistic imagination. I really wanted to taste the cake with it all put together. But it seemed bad form to cut a piece before the party started.  LOL!
I tend to over worry things. Making small cakes is very different than a 12 inch layer. I need to get a cooling rack that a 12 inch cake can fully rest on. I couldn’t find one and I went to so many places. Harrods didn’t even have one.
One thing I can highly recommend for making the mouselline buttercream is a swish digital thermometer. I tested it against my candy thermometer and it is about 6 degrees off. The digital one was brilliant and worth the 40 quid spent.
Cheers

Posted: 26 October 2009 09:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

Lovely cake, Melinda!  there’s nothing to worry about with the decorating, it’s beautiful and appropriate.  Too bad you didn’t get to taste it, you’ll have to make it again…

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 27 October 2009 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

This cake looks terrific.  Amazing job!

Posted: 27 October 2009 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Your cake looks lovely, Melinda! Love the bear and the blocks and your decorating skills are very good. The top is so smooth.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 27 October 2009 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  764
Joined  2007-11-15

Oh Melinda, what a beautiful cake!  I’ve been waiting patiently to see this, I knew you would make a good job of it and you have!  Your piping of the baby’s name is so neat, my hand would have been too shaky, I’m sure, to make such a lovely inscription.  What’s next, a wedding cake? tongue rolleye

Posted: 27 October 2009 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Melinda, Thanks for all the info.  I have two 13” round cooling racks but can’t remember where I got them, but you can definitely get the big 16 x 25” rectangular ones from Nisbets.  I really recommend that you look through their catalog - they sell to the trade so their prices are MUCH cheaper than Harrods!

Posted: 27 October 2009 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Melinda - very pretty cake! Love the pink bear and the fondant blocks, so adorable.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 27 October 2009 09:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2008-08-13

Melinda, what a delicious sounding cake! Chocolate chiffon, ganache syrup, raspberry filling and vanilla mousseline - yum! The bear and blocks are so adorable, great job.

Posted: 27 October 2009 10:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-05-14

Thank you all! You are too kind.  You all are so supportive and encouraging. You’ll never know how nice it was to have a place to go to and ask for advice.
I did a write up on my blog but it is pretty much the same thing as is written on here but I tend to rattle on a bit longer!  x

http://www.pickworth.me.uk/blog

Posted: 28 October 2009 09:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Oh my, what a precious cake!  The decorations are just darling!!!!  Much better than amateur!  Expect your colleagues to request more cakes in the future!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 30 October 2009 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  211
Joined  2008-11-03

Precious!