Dutch Baby in Bread Bible - Filling
Posted: 12 January 2008 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2007-11-16

I enjoy making a Dutch Baby from time to time, but I have not made the apple filling mentioned in Rose’s Bread Bible, page 183.

Has anyone made this?  It caught my eye, because a little local restaurant makes the best French Toast in the entire world.  The use thick sliced Challah, and smother it in a brown sugar/cinnamon sauce, just loaded with sauteed Granny Smith apples,  walnuts, and light and dark raisins. They top it with a cinnamon whipped cream cheese.  It’s to die for, and I was wondering how Rose’s Apple Filling compares in texture and consistency.  There are no nuts or raisins in hers, but that’s easy enough to play with.

I really want to know, does this filling make a good bit of sauce, gravy-like in consistency, or does is just glaze the apples with nothing left over?

Thanks.

MrsM

Posted: 16 February 2008 05:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1074
Joined  2007-11-15

It basically just glazes the apples because you cook off most of the liquid at a higher heat.

Posted: 16 February 2008 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2007-11-16

Thanks, that saves me the time of making this for French toast - I think I have to play around and get the correct consistency for a syrupy apple topping.

MrsM